'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 5 January 2015

REVIEW: The Map to Everywhere - Carrie Ryan, John Parke Davis

The Map to Everywhere
Title: The Map to Everywhere
Author: Carrie Ryan & John Parke Davis
Series: Pirate Stream #1
Publisher: Orion
Source: Review Copy
Publication Date: 4th November, 2014


'It is said the Bintheyr Map to Everywhere will take its possessor wherever he or she needs to go...'
Master thief, Fin, is unusual - when he's out of sight, everyone forgets he exists! He needs to find his mother - the one person who might remember him.
Schoolgirl, Marrill, boards a pirate ship in a car park and is carried off to another world. She needs to find her way home.
Fin and Marrill are on a wild adventure to find the Map to Everywhere, but can they escape the Oracle - a dark and powerful wizard who seeks the map to fulfil a terrifying prophecy?
The first in an epic new adventure series from husband-and-wife team, John Parke Davis and NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author, Carrie Ryan. Beautifully illustrated by Todd Harris.
I don't read many middle grade books. I can sometimes find them just that little bit too young for me, but every now and then one will catch my eye. The Map to Everywhere was one of those books and I'm so glad I gave it a chance. It sounded like such a fun little read and Carrie Ryan is an author that I've been meaning to read for the longest time. This book was exciting, original and unbelievably addictive. I was transported into Marrill and Fin's world easily and I was reluctant to let go.

The friendship that develops between Marrill and Fin is so beautiful and filled me with the warm fuzzies. Fin is a boy that is used to being forgotten. As in, people cannot seem to remember him at all. This made his friendship with Marrill all the more special. She is the first person that can remember him every single day. His first true friend. The adventures that they go on together shows so much trust and displays such a solid friendship. It's probably one of my favourite bookish friendships from 2014.

Not only did I love the friendships, but I loved the whole premise of the book. I loved that the Oracle was a character that we love to hate and I can't wait to see what happens with him in the future books. I loved that the pirate ship just appeared in a car park and I loved searching for the Map to Everywhere with them. The Map to Everywhere is an exciting and original read that I recommend to people of all ages :) go grab yourself a copy!

1 comment:

  1. I love a good MG read but like you said, I don't read them all, just the ones that draw me in. As soon as I saw you reviewed this one ^^ I was hoping you'd have enjoyed it cause it sounds really sweet and fun! I love how the friendship between Fin and Marrill sounds and I love all the elements you mentioned too :D Thanks for bringing this one to my attention doll, glad you enjoyed it!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).