'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Wednesday, 3 December 2014

REVIEW: There Will Be Lies - Nick Lake

There Will Be LiesTitle: There Will Be Lies
Author: Nick Lake
Series: None
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Source: Review Copy
Publication Date: 1st January, 2015


In four hours, Shelby Jane Cooper will be struck by a car.
Shortly after, she and her mother will leave the hospital and set out on a winding journey toward the Grand Canyon.
All Shelby knows is that they’re running from dangers only her mother understands. And the further they travel, the more Shelby questions everything about her past—and her current reality. Forced to take advantage of the kindness of unsuspecting travelers, Shelby grapples with what’s real, what isn’t, and who she can trust . . . if anybody.
Award-winning author Nick Lake proves his skills as a master storyteller in this heart-pounding new novel. This emotionally charged thrill ride leads to a shocking ending that will have readers flipping back to the beginning.
This was one of those books that just dived out of the Bloomsbury 2015 catalogue at me. Having read Nick Lake previously, I knew it was guaranteed to be a great read, and I can honestly say that I wasn't disappointed. First of all, the book turned up in a fancy promotional box with a reindeer keyring and Angel Delight ice cream mix. When you open a package like this, you just know that you're in for a right treat. So thank you Bloomsbury for that! Anyway, back to the book. There Will Be Lies mixes some pretty shocking subject matter with magical realism to make a truly unique book. It's a real page turner with characters that are so three dimensional, mysterious and intriguing.

Although I had my suspicions about certain aspects of the story, it didn't make the revelations any less shocking. I felt like things were handed so well in these pages. I wish I could go into more detail but it's just going to throw in loads of spoilers. I'm finding it difficult to put my thoughts into coherent sentences. It's one of those books that you are blown away by but find it difficult to put into words just how you're feeling about it, especially considering that there isn't a lot that can be said without giving anything away. Nick Lake has created a powerful novel in There Will Be Lies; it packs one hell of a punch and it makes for some very interesting reading. I loved the way Lake wrote this book. It feels like Shelby is talking to you directly with no filters, everything is as it comes right down to blank spaces and shooting arrows.

There Will Be Lies is one hell of a mind-bending ride. Things aren't all that they seem, characters histories are questioned and things are blown open by midway through. I loved seeing how Shelby dealt with everything that came her way and I absolutely adored the magical realism elements of the story. This is a book that I cannot wait for others to read. I can't wait to see what you all think and I hope you're all as captivated by it as I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).