'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Tuesday, 11 November 2014

REVIEW: The Selection - Kiera Cass

The Selection (The Selection, #1)Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #1
Publisher: Harper Collins
Source: Bought
Publication Date: 7th June, 2012


For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
“He stood and went to read my pin as I approached. “America, is it?” he said, a smile playing on his lips.
“Yes, it is. And I know I’ve heard your name before, but could you remind me?”
The Selection wasn't anything like I expected. I definitely didn't expect to be giving the book a 5* rating, that much I can tell you now. A few fellow readers that I have a lot in common with taste wise didn't rate this book all that much, so I went into it expecting something light and fluffy and to not get too taken by it. This is absolute proof that you shouldn't turn away from a book just because of the views of other people. I really, really enjoyed it. There's so much drama and tension, so much emotion and conflict. The Selection really packs a punch and I found myself so immersed in this world that I couldn't wait to go back! I'm 80% into The Elite at the moment and equally as in love with that as I was with this.
“What do you think my chances might be of finding a soul mate in the group of you? I'll be lucky if I can just find someone who'll be able to stand me for the rest of our lives. What if I've already sent her home because I was relying on some sort of spark I didn't feel? What if she's waiting to leave me at the first sign of adversity? What if I don't find anyone at all? What do I do then, America?”
I'm not someone that's super against love triangles, and I'd say that the one in The Selection definitely works. There is no way America could be in any other situation with the way her past and present have merged. I found that I had so much sympathy for America, Maxon and the other members of The Selection. Things didn't seem right and the more we learn about the history if Ilea, the murkier things get. I found myself flicking through the pages, eager to learn more and more and to see how the relationships were developing. I found myself 100% Team America (please excuse that) and any other girl that got in the way made me want to push them away.
“History isn’t something you study. It’s something you should just know.”
Kiera Cass has written such a wonderful introduction to what promises to be an exciting series. I thought I'd feel a little uncomfortable with the whole concept of The Selection, but it's done in a similar way to The Handmaid's Tale. The oppressive society is apparent throughout, but this time both men and women are trapped by it. Maxon has no way out, he's just as trapped by it as the girls. I highly recommend giving this book a go - it took me by surprise and I'm not absolutely addicted!  

3 comments:

  1. I'm SO HAPPY that you loved this one! I was slightly dubious about it before I started because I saw a few reviews from people that I generally like the same books as, but I loved it too!
    The love triangle in this series is definitely one of the best, but I always had my favourite guy. I loved The Elite, but The One was my favourite of the series :)
    I really want to go and re-read it now after reading your review! It's reminded me how much I loved it <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, your praise for this one is making me reconsider my decision not to read it. I always tend to tolerate love-triangles if there's a good reason behind them, and there seems to be one in this case. I have found that my patience for love-triangles has gone down a bit recently though so I might have to wait for the right mood to strike me before I dive in...BUT, I am very happy that you enjoyed this one Leah :D Lovely review, as always! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Selection and gave it 5 stars as well! I really enjoyed the other books in the series because Kiera Cass is fantastic at storytelling, but I had major problems with them. Really wished the selection was a stand alone with no appearance of Aspen at the end.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).