'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Sunday, 7 September 2014

REVIEW: Siege & Storm - Leigh Bardugo

Title: Siege and Storm
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Series: Grisha #2
Publisher: Indigo Books
Source: Purchased
Publication Date: 6th June, 2013


Darkness never dies. Alina and Mal are on the run - but they can't run for ever...

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and he needs Alina to realise his dangerous plan. Somehow, she must choose between her country, her power, and her love - or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.
 
Siege and Storm was such an exciting sequel to Shadow and Bone. The darkness, tension and chemistry was turned all the way up and had me cringing from the book in horror, gripping the book tightly and flipping through the pages like a lunatic. Considering I wasn't entirely captivated by Shadow and Bone when I first read it, I am so shocked by how captivated by the books I am in both my re-read of book one and first go at book two. Leigh Bardugo has dragged me into this world and she isn't going to be letting go any time soon.

I found my emotions fully wrung out by the time I'd finished this book. There is such much tension, conflict, romance, violence, shock and horror just pulsating through this novel. As you can see by this review, I'm finding it difficult to put into coherent sentences exactly what it was that made me love the book. One thing I do know though is that Alina and Mal have my heart. There's no doubt about it. I am Team Mal through and through. The Darkling has nothing on him. There's plenty of events unfolding through this book that made for some gripping but infuriating scenes, especially between these two. I found myself wanting to shake them both at some point or other but this just made me love the book more. A book that can make you feel so much for characters is a complete winner in my eyes.

There are darker events unfolding regarding The Darkling. Alina didn't think for one second that she might be free of him, but I don't think any of us saw what was coming when all is revealed. The lengths that The Darkling goes through in his attempt at control is enough to make you lean away from the book as you read. The Shadow Fold looks like a plaything in comparison to what The Darkling has planned for everyone! Despite is evilness, there is something that is likeable about The Darkling. I haven't pinpointed exactly what it is yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how things play out in Ruin and Rising.

As in Shadow and Bone, Bardugo keeps us readers at the edge of our seats through the various battles and events that unfold. This book is a MILLION times better than the first and I really loved that! My only reasoning for this book not having the full 5* is because I keep my 5* for really special books. Although I loved this book, I didn't love it enough to bring it into my 5* territory - which isn't a negative at all! It just means that it wasn't quite there for me in comparison to my other 5* reads. Despite not making full marks, I was still fully immersed in this world and I really cannot wait to sink my teeth into the finale of this fantastic trilogy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).