'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 7 August 2014

REVIEW: As Red As Blood - Salla Simukka

As Red As BloodTitle: As Red As Blood
Author: Salla Simukka
Series: Lumikki Andersson #1
Publisher: Hot Key Books 
Source: Review Copy
Publication Date: August 7th, 2014


Seventeen-year-old Lumikki Andersson is hardly your average teenager. She lives by herself in the city of Tampere, Finland, and has a firm rule to mind nobody's business but her own. But that rule is put to the test when she happens upon five hundred washed euro notes hanging up to dry in her school's darkroom, and it is shattered once Lumikki realises who owns them.

Caught in an increasingly tangled web of deception, corruption and danger, Lumikki finds herself navigating the Tampere's dark underbelly in the search to expose its shocking connection to the international drugs trade. Lumikki is smart, but is she smarter than a master criminal? Can she bring down the infamous 'Polar Bear' - or will she become another one of his victims?

The first part of a thrilling new Nordic crime series, AS RED AS BLOOD will have you on the edge of your seat until the last page is turned... and then some.
This was such an exciting read! As Red As Blood isn't my usual read, but there was something about the blurb and the cover that hooked me straight away. It's been awhile since I've read a book that's had me on the edge of my seat, chewing my fingernails and looking over my shoulder every two seconds to make sure I' not being followed! This is exactly what this book did to me. Simukka has written a truly chilling tale about what could happen if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time; something that could happen to anyone. I think that's what intrigued me the most about this book. For some reason, I enjoy scaring myself!

Lumikki stumbles across five hundred euros hanging up to dry in her school's dark room with distinctive rust marks on them. Her plan is to avoid anything to do with this money, but as the synopsis suggests, things don't always go to plan. She finds herself sucked into the terrifying, blood soaked underground life of Tampere and she witnesses things and has to participate in things that change her for life. Simukka writes so amazingly; I was completely lost in this world, constantly on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next. As Red As Blood is so fast paced I could barely catch my breath, although I had many frustrating moments however; moments where I wanted to shake some sense into certain characters.

There was also elements which I thought were a little far fetched which made me lose enjoyment a little. That and I didn't enjoy some of the fear that I felt for the characters reading this book. It wasn't a light-hearted read - as to be expected with a title like that! It wasn't the usual thriller that I expected and it definitely made for a captivating read. I read it in just a few hours. This is also one of the few translations that I've read and I'll definitely be looking at more in the future! Overall, a really exciting, fast-paced thriller which will keep you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. A really good read.

1 comment:

  1. Scandinavian people write the best crime books and series it seems! Over the last couple of years I've seen dozens I want to read :). I am usually not into the really scary stuff, so I might have to gather some courage before reading this! Glad you liked it, Leah :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).