'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 8 August 2014

7 Deadly Sins Tag


This is a tag I've been seeing floating around quite a lot lately, so I thought I'd give it a go! Feel free to take part if you want to - I'm not going to tag anyone in particular :)

Greed – What is your most inexpensive book?
Probably my Garth Nix set. I got Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen and Across the Wall for £2 from a local charity bookshop. So just 50 pence each! They're books I'd wanted for ages too so I was over the moon.

Wrath – What author do you have a love/hate relationship with?
Ohhh good question! Probably George R. R. Martin. The man is a phenomenal writer and I am completely addicted to his world but he can be SO CRUEL. WHY TAKE THOSE PEOPLE AWAY FROM ME?!

Gluttony – What book have you devoured over and over with no shame?
Harry Potter. This is probably everyone's answer. I don't even know how many times I've read the first four. I love to binge read them!

Sloth – What book have you neglected reading due to laziness?
I signed up for a Jane Austen reading challenge this year... and I've read none of them. I've read Emma in the past and parts of Pride and Prejudice. They are books I definitely want to read but they can take a lot of effort. So that's definitely laziness. That and I feel so guilty for neglecting ARCs etc and I know JA is going to take a long time to read. Tha always makes me think twice.

Pride – What book do you most talk about in order to sound like an intellectual reader?
It's not something I do intentionally to be honest. Rather than books themselves I talk a lot about the underlying themes in the books e.g. gender issues, societal etc. Rather than sounding intellectual it's more a hang up from my university days! That and I enjoy gender studies generally. If I HAD to pick a book it would probably be 1984 by George Orwell. Love that book.

Lust – What attributes do you find attractive in male or female characters?
A sense of humour, charisma, being caring. Ash in The Jewel is amazing, as is Arin in The Winner's Curse, Chaol and Dorian in the Throne of Glass series, Nick in About a Girl. All sorts really. I'd say Jon Snow but I think that's more Kit Harington than Jon haha!

Envy – What book would you most like to receive as a gift?
At this current moment in time I would say Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas or the second book in Amy Ewing's The Jewel series. Generally though? The latest Scholastic and/or Bloomsbury Harry Potter box sets or this amazing compilation of Potter: Film Making Journey related books. I think I'd swap my soul for that. Haha!

6 comments:

  1. LOL - I posted my response to this today too after being tagged by Emily @Books and Cleverness, and I tagged you to do it!

    HP was my response too for gluttony. I'm doing a P&P readalong this month and so far it actually isn't too painful. I watched the BBC adaptation first (I never usually watch before reading) and I've found that has really helped me understand the pacing and language in the novel. I'm loving Mr Bennett's sarcasm. The readalong is happening here - https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/138434-austen-august-a-pride-and-prejudice-read-a-long

    I'll link my post below:
    http://confessionsofabookgeek.wordpress.com/2014/08/08/seven-deadly-sins-tag/#more-2086

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone is stealing my banner! o:

    Haha I agree with you on GRRM. He makes us love his characters and then he just kills them. WHYYYY. And I'm exactly like that with underlying themes! When you have to analyse so many books for school, it just kinda happens when you're reading. And discussing them is fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh sorry Celine! I saw it on Ula's post and thought it was a general one. I'll pop up some credits to you now :) x

      Delete
    2. Haha, I'm glad you guys thought it looked good enough that it belonged to the tag xD

      Delete
  3. Jon Snow knows nothing so... :P
    Good answers, I see HP made everyone's list in this tag, and GRRM came close second! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on George R R Martin - although not for the same reasons. I find his snails pace writing of books to be endlessly frustrating, having already gone through one author dropping dead before finishing his epic series (Robert Jordan) I don't want to do it again. Brandon Sanderson did a fine job of finishing The Wheel of Time but there were issues with the world-specific terms that were a little jarring. GRRM seems, unfortunately, more interested in the TV series these days than the books. He should take a tip from the mighty Steven Erikson who managed to churn out a minimum 800 page book every year until his series was complete - and it IS the high watermark of epic fantasy, there is nobody out there to touch him, highly recommended if you haven't read Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen and don't have a problem with not having your fantasy spoon-fed ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).