'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Sunday, 6 July 2014

REVIEW: Lies Like Love - Louisa Reid

Lies Like Love - Louisa Reid
Lies Like Love
Lies Like Love is the haunting and heart-breaking new novel from Louisa Reid, critically acclaimed author of Black Heart Blue.
LIES
'There were a few problems . . . bullying . . . a fire . . .'

LIKE'
I think she's verging on psychosis . . . now she's lashing out.
'LOVE'
She's got no one else to fight for her.'

Sixteen year-old Audrey just wants to be normal.She's trying to fit in.But what happens when the person closest to you suffocates you with their love?What happens then?
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Penguin*

This is probably one of the darkest books I've read that deal with mental health issues and it was perfect. I felt like Louisa Reid really captured the darkness and the fear of what having a mental health illness is like and she does it in such an unpredictable way. Lies Like Love is such a hard hitting read and I'm finding it incredibly difficult to put my thoughts into coherent sentences. I don't know how I can put across the feelings I had when I was reading this book. It was a genuinely terrifying read of the feelings of entrapment, of helplessness and confusion.

The thing I loved most about Lies Like Love was the completely unsettling atmosphere which continued throughout the entire book. The protagonist Audrey appears entirely unstable and unpredictable. The depression that she has been diagnosed with is described as 'The Thing' rather than an emotion; a terrifying creature which chases her in her dreams, makes her do horrific things to her body and appears to destroy her mental stability for days at a time. Audrey lives in fear of 'The Thing' and it continues to impact on her day to day life, preventing her from making close friends or maintaining a relationship with her mother. Audrey's mother is an entirely detestable character and I found myself hating her from the very first chapter. She appears to be so unsupportive and manipulative; I found it so hard to stomach her dialogue. I found myself willing Audrey to do something.

Lies Like Love ends on a complete jaw dropper. I'll admit that I had my suspicions about certain aspects of the novel, and I was almost positive that things weren't quite how they seemed, but the ending still left me reeling. I was warned by the author about the ending and she really wasn't exaggerating. I felt horrified, saddened and in a sense relieved to finally know what was going on. Lies Like Love is an incredible novel about the difficulties of coping with mental health issues; it's so beautifully and powerfully written, I couldn't get enough of it. A complete page-turner, I definitely recommend this book!

2 comments:

  1. Now I really want to read this one. It might be weird but mental illness is a topic I like to read about, just because while everyone doesn't have a mental illness, mental health does affect everybody. This one sounds scary, but really good. Thanks for the review!

    -P.E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently reading this. Right in the middle, actually
    i am definitely liking it so faar
    great review
    your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).