'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 31 July 2014

Harry Potter #74

This is a meme hosted by me here at my blog :).The aim of this meme is to share with fellow bloggers a character, spell, chapter, object or quote from the books/ films/ J. K. Rowling herself or anything Potter related! I will be picking a topic within HP for us to focus on each week and then if anyone wants to take part feel free! All I ask is to link back here, to my blog :). There is now a full list of the topics to come in the Harry Potter section of my blog here.
Most Inspirational Moment/ Passage
This is a very difficult one for me. I find the entire series so inspirational generally so it's hard to narrow it down to one particular moment. If I had to write this again tomorrow I'd probably pick something different. I think I'm just going to list the top three that popped into my head.
 
3. Neville recreating DA
I just thought that this was amazing. To go back to Hogwarts and to see all of the support that was there for Harry and the Order of the Phoenix. The fact that everyone was united against the cause gave me the shivers (and still does). Neville is so brave and it's so understated. He doesn't do it for the glory and I find that so inspiring.
 
2. Hermione wiping her parents memory
Oh man. The things she has done to protect the people that she loves. She's willing to be wipe the very memory of herself from her parents lives in order to protect them from Voldemort. I thought that showed so much inner strength and dedication to getting rid of Voldemort, for making the world a better place. I love Hermione so much!
 
1. Snape's Memories
The ultimate act of bravery. Snape risked himself constantly for the entirety of Harry's life over his love for Lily. Wading my way through Snape's memories was such a painful but awe inspiring moment for me. The amount of stuff Snape went through all because he loved Harry's mother is absolutely beautiful. Despite being an ass to Harry, I really don't think Snape gets as much credit as he deserves.
 

6 comments:

  1. Awesome picks, I love Neville and Hermione, they are both so strong even though they don't really look it.
    As for Snape, he gets far too much credit imho. His acts of slefishness and bravery and being a childish grudge-holder often get muddled together into a noble sacrifice. He was brave but he could have been less petty and mean, just cause a girl friendzoned him once. Lawd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neville recreating the DA, that's a brilliant one that didn't occur to me (hangs head).

    Haha, see I'm with you on this one, Snape deserves the love ;) ♥

    I really struggled this week, there were just so many moments (and quotes). I managed to finally narrow it down to one moment....and lots of quotes :D I had originally planned to make some of the quotes into bookmarks but the issues with my new laptop over the weekend meant that didn't plan out :( Maybe a post-Harry Potter month post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah wow, it's so true about Neville eh? He got the DA to stick together even without Harry and I mean, though he probably wouldn't say it, Neville was their unofficial leader then. He really stepped up and took control!

    And yes of course Hermione wiping her parent's memories breaks my heart every time. Such a HUGE risk and sacrifice just to keep them safe and to keep Harry and the mission safe ♥

    As for Snape, I certainly admire his bravery at risking his life EVERY DAY playing Voldemort when he was really Dumbledore's man...but at the same time, I'm with Ula: I think he gets too much credit as a hero and people forget how utterly vile he was, not just to Harry but to poor Neville, Hermione, the Weasleys...etc etc etc. And I see his 'feelings' for Lily as more obsession than love. In the end though, he did save Harry so he definitely deserves SOME credit ;-D Awesome picks! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaah I was so happy when the trio got back to Hogwarts and they were all there, united! Because it really does matter that there are other people who believe in the cause, because Harry couldn't have fought the Battle of Hogwarts on his own!
    Snape's memories were heart-breaking, but somehow I'd never thought of them as inspirational although now I totally see what you mean! To dedicate your whole life to one cause in the memory of a loved one is amazing! I don't want to talk about Hermione wiping her parents' memories, it makes me cry! Thanks for hosting :)
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't even think of the Neville one, but you are absolutely right. I love the character that he became with the DA's help so I can understand why it means so much to him. Seeing him leading things at the school in the last one was a definite triumph. Hermione's parents was such a sad thing for me. Her and Ron may not have had to sacrifice their lives, but not only were they willing to, they gave up so much in the process to help Harry. Snape's memories also were such a great revelation. I would go through bouts of "is Snape bad" or "is he really good" so getting the full picture of Snape there are the end was fantastic. Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely adore Neville. He really grew over the series and it's amazing to see how he changed into someone who would lead the students and stand up the the death eaters/teachers.
    I love that they showed Hermione taking away her parents memory in the movie. It's such a sad scene. It shows how much she's willing to sacrifice to stand with her friends and fight Voldemort.
    Okay, don't hate me, I really don't like Snape. I can respect him because of the memories, but I can't like him. Each time I finish the series I think that maybe I'll like Snape better next time because of all that he's done... but then I don't. His memories do make me think that I should like him more though.
    Great picks!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).