'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 17 July 2014

Harry Potter #72

This is a meme hosted by me here at my blog :).The aim of this meme is to share with fellow bloggers a character, spell, chapter, object or quote from the books/ films/ J. K. Rowling herself or anything Potter related! I will be picking a topic within HP for us to focus on each week and then if anyone wants to take part feel free! All I ask is to link back here, to my blog :). There is now a full list of the topics to come in the Harry Potter section of my blog here.

Bravest Character Moment
“Harry Potter," he said very softly. His voice might have been part of the spitting fire. "The Boy Who Lived."
None of the Death Eaters moved. They were waiting. Everything was waiting. Hagrid was struggling, and Bellatrix was panting, and Harry thought inexplicably of Ginny, and her blazing look, and the feel of her lips on his--
Voldemort had raised his wand. His head was still tilted to one side, like a curious child, wondering what would happen if he proceeded. Harry looked back into the red eyes, and wanted it to happen now, quickly, while he could still stand, before he lost control, before he betrayed fear--
He saw the mouth move and a flash of green light, and everything was gone.”
I wanted to pick a really obscure one here. I wanted to go for something like Neville cutting off Nagini's head or Hermione suffering Bellatrix's wrath as a Muggleborn, but there's nothing as brave as Harry's entry into the forest in The Deathly Hallows. To sacrifice yourself, to walk into a forest where you know you're about to be murdered. To even think about doing that is insane never mind being in the situation where you have to. After everything he's been through and everything he's done, he is still willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good. He is willing to give himself up so that others have a chance at finally ending Voldemort's reign. That sends shivers through me and it's so unbelievably brave. I just can't even process it. Amazing moment. 




6 comments:

  1. Agreed. There are many brave moments (also like Snape being a double spy), but going to a place where you know you are going do die.. That's just a case of an insane amount of bravery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree with you more about this moment. To voluntarily face death like Harry did- such a tremendous sacrifice. I pretty much bawled with every step he took into the forest, starting with him using the Resurrection Stone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's definitely so brave! I mean, Harry always wanted to protect others and help them and he thinks his death is the only way of doing so, so he decides to die! I also loved that the Resurrection Stone opened for him and he got to see all those who made a similar sacrifice. Tears were definitely flowing! I couldn't pick just one moment so I went for three!
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, I agree 10000%^^ I wanted to pick something different too but I simply cannot get passed Harry straight up walking into the forest KNOWING he was going to his death. The fact that he was more than WILLING to sacrifice himself to save everyone else. To stop fighting after years of doing so and let Voldemort kill him so he could end the madness?! Gah! It gives me chills and every single time I think about it, or re-read the scene, or see it again on t.v. I'm reminded why Harry will always be THE hero to end all heros to me. ♥ Gorgeous moment ^^ xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see a lot of us picked this moment. I was actually a little pissed here because Harry has fought years and years against all of it and then he'd just go and let himself be killed, not even planning to fight back. I was mad when I first read it, but still couldn't get past the fact he's willing to doe for strangers. I'd never be able to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're absolutely right about how brave this moment is, but I didn't pick it for my moment. Harry's knowingly going into the forest to sacrifice himself is undeniably brave, but like you I wanted to pick something a little different.

    I went for the moment Hermione removes her parents' memories to protect them - it's not a huge grand moment of bravery in the way that The Forest Again is, but for her it's a huge moment of courage.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).