'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 10 July 2014

Harry Potter #71

This is a meme hosted by me here at my blog :).The aim of this meme is to share with fellow bloggers a character, spell, chapter, object or quote from the books/ films/ J. K. Rowling herself or anything Potter related! I will be picking a topic within HP for us to focus on each week and then if anyone wants to take part feel free! All I ask is to link back here, to my blog :). There is now a full list of the topics to come in the Harry Potter section of my blog here.

Scariest Magical Creature
Dementors
Hands down. No competition. I'd prefer death over having my soul sucked out of me. It's not just that the Dementors are prison guards, that they converted to Voldemort's side as if it was nothing, that they bring to the forefront all of your bad memories, that they drive you insane, it's that they're based on J. K. Rowling's depression too. As someone who has anxiety/ panic attacks (and anyone else who has any form of mental health issues) I feel like I have fairly accurate thoughts on what it would be like to be around a Dementor and that just makes me shudder more! It makes it so much more real and horrific and ickkkk! Can they even die? I know you can Expecto Patronum them but what about after that?! *Shudders* 

What do you guys think is the scariest creature?

9 comments:

  1. These are viiiile! I hate them omfg, if I met one I'd die of fear before it got to me I think. It's mental how these exist and how they are sentient enough to change allegiance to Voldemort just because they know they'll be better fed with him. :X

    ReplyDelete
  2. God yes. Dementors are vile and disgusting-looking, and just the idea of having your soul sucked out and living like that? Horrifying.

    I also wouldn't want to meet an Acromantula though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dementors- *shudder* They freak me out even in Lego form in the HP video games! I don't think I'd be able to even attempt using Expecto Patronum on them; I'd be passed out from fear way before then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are definitely freaky creatures! I wouldn't want to look at them if they came creeping up, so I would have to Expecto them looking the other direction. I'd like to keep my soul in tact please. Great choice :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked the same, these things are simply horrific! And yes I agree with you that the fact that JKR based them off of her depression makes them even more scary. The fact that they just make people feel hopeless and listless, and leave you with only your worst memories makes me cringe!! Plus like you said: can these things even die?! Bleh!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dementors are soo creepy! I remember when I read about them for the first time and I swear to God that I had nightmares! I didn't know whether they counted as 'creatures' though, so I picked something else! Thanks for hosting :)
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited I found this meme! It's funny that I even came across it. I made a HP post today and then saw one on Bloglovin via Universe in Words, which led me here! I might start taking part next week :)

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I definitely agree with this! I mean they don't even have to touch you, or be particularly close, to affect you, and that's scary. And the way they can manipulate your feelings is just horrible.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).