'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Tuesday, 3 June 2014

REVIEW: Another Night, Another Day - Sarah Rayner

Another Night, Another Day - Sarah Rayner
Another Night, Another Day
From the author of the bestselling One Moment, One Morning comes another beautiful, bittersweet novel set in Brighton…

Three people, each crying out for help

There’s Karen, about to lose her father; Abby, whose son has autism and needs constant care, and Michael, a family man on the verge of bankruptcy. As each sinks under the strain, they’re brought together at Moreland’s Psychiatric Clinic. 

Here, behind closed doors, they reveal their deepest secrets, confront and console one another and share plenty of laughs. But how will they cope when a new crisis strikes?
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Sarah Rayner*

I'll be honest, I wasn't sure how I was going to react to this book. As someone who has anxiety I find it quite tough to read such realistic portrayals of mental health issues. It's something which can sometimes trigger something in me which makes me really focus on myself and anxiety. It brings back a flood of memories that I'd sooner forget so on just accepting this book to read was a big enough challenge. Having finished the book, I am so glad that I decided to read it. So, so glad. It's such a realistic but hopeful portrayal of a variety of mental health issues. Sarah Rayner depicts things so perfectly; I felt like I was in the room with these characters, that I could encourage them through their journey and to help them to start to get better. It's such a powerful and moving read; I really, really loved it. 

What I loved the most was how Sarah Rayner didn't shy away from any of the horrible truths of mental health issues. From what it can do to relationships, to what it's like for an individual, to how it impacts on your day to day life; everything that was written was something that I could 100% empathise with. The story captures exactly what it's like to live with a form of anxiety, depression, tourettes; to be bipolar. The list goes on. To me, this book created such a feeling of hope and it manages to shatter that illusion of loneliness that we can feel when going through things such as these. Another Night, Another Day introduces us to a range of characters who are suffering with a range of mental health issues and through this, manages to make us as a reader feel a part of this world. So many feelings that I've had myself are echoed in these pages and I found that such a comfort. Rayner's message seems to be that you are not alone, help is always at hand, you will get past this. I can't think of a better message to send.

Another Night, Another Day took me completely by surprise and took me on three separate adventures. Rayner introduces us to depression, anxiety and panic attacks through the eyes of three protagonists; Abby, Karen and Michael. It is through these three characters that we see the story unfold and how relationships develop as they begin to visit Moreland's Psychiatric Clinic. We are given insight into the varying degrees of help that are provided to people; whether that's in a private institution or public. Rayner doesn't shy away from errors in the system and displays how important it is for people to get help in order to overcome things. This book is so moving, so hopeful, so inspiring. I recommend it to everyone that has ever dealt with mental health issues themselves.

Sarah Rayner has written the perfect novel. It tackles mental health issues head on and writes in such a hope inducing way. I closed the book feeling so empowered by Karen, Abby and Michael's stories. Everything was so realistic, so personal. It makes for one of the most captivating reads I've read in a long time. I loved it. This isn't your 'usual' mental health book. Of course there are tough scenes, but I loved reading about the characters development. I loved seeing friendships grow and seeing how they reacted to their time in Moreland's. Another Night, Another Day is such a wonderfully empowering book, I cannot recommend it enough. 
 
Keep your eyes pealed for a brilliant author interview with Sarah Rayner on the 13th as part of MHAM!

2 comments:

  1. Great review, Leah! I'm really intrigued by Another Night, Another Day. Your enthusiasm for this novel has me sold! Will definitely check it out if it crosses my path! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I'm really intrigued to read this now. I've already read One Moment One Morning and was looking out for this, might have to make an effort to pick it up in June for MHAM R x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).