'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 20 June 2014

Farewell Strange Chemistry & Exhibit A, You Will Be Missed


Today I logged onto Twitter to see it exploding with exclamations about the closing of Strange Chemistry  (YA imprint) and Exhibit A (Crime imprint); two imprints of a much loved publishing company Angry Robot Books. I sat there completely gobsmacked just flicking through the tweets, refusing to believe what I was reading. Unfortunately, it's 100% true. I quickly flicked onto the Angry Robot Books website and this is the updated provided:

As you will be aware, Angry Robot Books has a history of innovation and we continue to go from strength to strength. We’re constantly trying out new concepts and new ideas, and we continue to publish popular and award-winning books. Our YA imprint Strange Chemistry and our crime/mystery imprint Exhibit A have – due mainly to market saturation – unfortunately been unable to carve out their own niches with as much success.
We have therefore made the difficult decision to discontinue Strange Chemistry and Exhibit A, effective immediately, and no further titles will be published from these two imprints.
The core Angry Robot imprint is robust, however, and we plan to increase our output from 2 books a month, to 3. We have no plans to cancel any titles other than those of Strange Chemistry and Exhibit A.

This has filled me with such a great sense of sadness. I was so lucky to have the opportunity to have worked alongside the team at Angry Robot as an intern, but also as a blogger alongside many of my favourite authors such as Kim Curran, Laura Lam, Cassandra Rose Clarke and Danielle L. Jensen.  I'm not a massive reader of crime, so there aren't many Exhibit A books that I have read, but the ones that I have are amazing. However, Strange Chemistry have such a special place in my heart. Not only does Amanda have such a fantastic eye for superb talent but she has so much passion for the books she edits. Amanda is so passionate about her authors and their work, she just wanted to absolute best for them. Whenever we talked about SC, she was always so excited about everything that was going on, from the stunning covers to the fantastic content.

Strange Chemistry was also the first publisher that I started building contacts with when I first started my blog. They sent me my very first physical ARC's and as soon as I read them I knew this was an imprint that I was going to absolutely love. I was hooked on The Holders by Julianna Scott and had been introduced to a wonderful science-fiction and YA author Cassandra Rose Clarke, through her debut The Mad Scientist's Daughter. Following this, I became a fanatic follower of this company, but especially Strange Chemistry. They haven't published a book that I disliked. Their authors are so incredibly talented, writing such original and innovative work. I loved Strange Chemistry for it's individuality; I loved the name, I loved how approachable everyone was - authors and publishers - and I will miss the imprint so much. Some of my favourite books were published by this imprint and I am absolutely devastated that there won't be any more.

Not only does the fact that I'll miss the fiction that they produced, but I am so, so saddened for the wonderful authors. I have so much sympathy for the fantastically talented authors and I sincerely hope that their work finds new homes. I feel so much for those authors that never got their chance to shine too, and I know many of us long to see the end of these fantastic trilogies, such as Kim Curran's Shift series and Laura Lam's Micah Grey series. I know how hard these authors work and they were all such a joy to work with when I was an intern. They worked so hard to make the publishers job as easy as possible. They were so passionate about what they do and their work deserves new homes! I don't know what you other publishing companies are waiting for - snap them up!

I also have great sympathy for the publishers themselves at Angry Robot Books. I've been seeing a lot of negative press against them on Twitter which is entirely unfair, and I'm positive that the workers behind these wonderful books fought their hardest to keep these brilliant imprints going. Marc, Lee, Caroline, Amanda, Mike and Bryon are so incredibly passionate about the company and put their all into it. I think it's so incredibly narrow minded to assume that only the authors are hurt by this outcome. It affects everyone all round and I have so much sympathy for everyone involved.

I'm going to finish this here. I'm just so saddened by the news and I hope things pick up for Angry Robot following this. Like I said, snap up those authors! They are so incredibly talented and they have so many amazing stories to tell. I remain a dedicated member of the Chemistry Set despite this. I will always support these authors and this company. They are fantastic. I'll end this post with links to a few of my reviews; please read them and pick up these books. They won't let you down!

*Lovely SC and EA authors, if you guys need any promo help or anything, just drop me a comment or an email and I am more than happy to help!* 

Reviews

4 comments:

  1. When I read it I couldn't believe it. I was just thinking the other day what a nice summer SC is having ahead of them with Kim's book and a Kat Ross' book as well! Such a shame, I will still look out for SC books to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so so saddened too! Stange Chemistry books were fresh and unique and all the books from them I've read, I've loved!
    Authors are now left in limbo, even those with books scheduled to relase soon and with ARCs already on bloggers' hands, and all the people working on the imprint are also left redundant and without a job, very unhappy situation all around! =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such sad news!! My tbr shelf is FILLED with titles from Strange Chemistry ( I think I've only managed to read The Holders so far but regardless) and they seemed to be doing very well, there was a lot of buzz for so many of their titles....I just can't imagine them having to shut down. I don't read many mysteries either but I'm sure Exhibit A had some promising titles too! I remember your internship at Angry Robot so I'm really sorry for you for this horrible news :( And those poor authors, ugh it makes me so sad! WTG with posting all your reviews though ^^ I see A LOT of titles of my tbr shelf there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is crazy! I've read many of their books (Laura Lam and Cassandra Rose Clarke among them) and I'll miss them dearly. I'm freaking out now about Clarke's Hannah duology and where the second will find its home. I hope all of these great authors are able to pick up and find new homes. I'll miss SC a lot.

    C.J.
    Sarcasm & Lemons

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).