'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 19 May 2014

REVIEW: We Were Liars - E. Lockhart

We Were Liars - E. Lockhart 
We Were Liars
We are the Liars.

We are beautiful, privileged and live a life of carefree luxury.

We are cracked and broken.

A story of love and romance.

A tale of tragedy.

Which are lies?

Which is truth?
I almost put this book down. I literally almost put it down. This just goes to show how absolutely phenomenal this book is once it gets going. I found myself thinking oh no, I don't want to hate a book that everyone else seems to love. I found myself wondering what it was I wasn't getting so I carried on reading. I am so, so glad that I did. We Were Liars may be a little slow at the beginning but once it picks up and it has you in its grasp there is no going back! It's so absorbing, mesmerising, heart-wrenching, mysterious; it's just an absolutely brilliant book to read.

“Always do what you're afraid to do.
...
I will prove myself strong when they think I am sick.
I will prove myself brave when they think I am weak.”

We Were Liars is a complex tale and oh man, it's impossible to put it down and not feel absolutely saddened by the truth. I didn't see the revelation coming at the end and I think that made the book even better. Cadence has lost her memory since an accident in the water and the book follows her path in trying to figure out the truth of what happened. I wasn't prepared for the final section. I don't think I'm over it yet. I just wanted to take back what I'd read! Lockhart writes so beautifully and in a style that I haven't really encountered. I found that you really work for your information and I loved that. It allowed me to empathise with Cadence all the more. I felt like I was wading through murky water with her too; why won't anyone tell her anything? Why does everyone suddenly have such strange behaviour? So much brilliance in just over 200 pages.

“There is not even a Scrabble word for how bad I feel.”

All of the characters in this novel had such strong personalities and I loved them all. I could empathise with so many of the characters and despite being set in the twenty first century, Lockhart conveys such a strong sense of 'old money' and I felt like I was reading something out of the 1920's. This just made me fall in love more. There's friendship, there's tragedy, there's illness, there's loss; there's just so much going on in this book and I loved it. I can't recommend this book enough. A book that went from making me want to put it down to giving it a 5* rating is insane. I've never had such a drastic turnaround when reading a book. Can't recommend it enough and I definitely understand the hype!

6 comments:

  1. I hope to read it soon! =) Great review Leah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you ended up enjoying it! Great review, and I completely agree about it feeling like something straight out of the 1920s. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will come back and read your review after I've read it. Ordered a copy last week and probably packing it for my holibobs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I loved it too, and I agree that the author's use of language was amazing, and really does give a sense of what an "old money" life would be like. Really incredible book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I just got this one from the library - I can't wait to start it! I'm so curious to know what it's all about! Great review though - you piqued my interest without giving anything away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great review. I've heard so many great things about it, but I haven't picked myself up a copy yet. I definitely need to!

    It's so interesting that you had a total 180 on it. I think the closest I've come to the same is with A Game of Thrones. I got the first book for Christmas years ago, read a chapter or two but wasn't thrilled and put it down in favour of other books I got for Christmas. I forgot all about it, and when I finally went to pick it back up I was really reluctant because I remembered not being able to get into it. I was obviously just in a different frame of mind though, because that time I was hooked instantly!

    Says a lot about Lockhart's writing though for it to sway you so drastically - my 180 was more just like a change in circumstances! x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).