'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Wednesday, 7 May 2014

REVIEW: Poison - Sarah Pinborough

Poison - Sarah Pinborough
Poison (Tales from the Kingdoms, #1)
A beautiful, sexy, contemporary retelling of the classic Snow White fairy tale, illustrated by Les Edwards.

Poison is a beautifully illustrated retelling of the Snow White story which takes all the elements of the classic fairy tale that we love (the handsome prince, the jealous queen, the beautiful girl and, of course, the poisoning) and puts a modern spin on the characters, their motives and their desires. It's fun, contemporary, sexy, and perfect for fans of Once Upon a Time,Grimm, Snow White and the Huntsman and more.

Sarah Pinborough's retelling are definitely the darkest and most bizarre fairy tale retellings I've ever read... and I've read Angela Carter's work. Ha. This isn't a bad thing at all. I love reading completely original retellings and it's impossible to argue that this is nothing but original. This retelling follows the path of the Evil Queen rather than Snow White. There is much more dark magic involved but I also loved an insight into the Evil Queen's reasoning. Snow White isn't as perfect and pure as she makes out and the Queen's motives aren't quite as clean cut as they're made out to be!

I made the mistake of reading Beauty before reading Poison (and have yet to read Charm). After reading this I can definitely see that it would have been so much better for me to have read this one first! It seems that the three books tie in together nicely and hint towards future events in the other books. There's so much depth to this story even though it's just 200 pages. I found myself immersed in this newly created world and I couldn't for the life of me predict what was going to happen next.

With a not so pure Snow White, she leaves herself open to many different events. I was unsure about the ending. I felt that it was a bit muddled and it definitely didn't go the way I thought it would. Liberated women are not welcomed here. There isn't much more I can say without spoiling the book. Poison is an interesting twist on the Snow White fairy tale and I look forward to reading Charm!

2 comments:

  1. I love fairy tale retellings, so I can't believe I haven't heard of this one! This sounds really interesting and I love the simplicity of the cover! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wary of fairy tale retellings because the ones that I've read were all meh except for Kate SeRine's but that one's more inspired than a retelling. However I love dark fantasy reads so I'll put this on the maybe pile

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).