'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Saturday, 17 May 2014

REVIEW: Mutant City - Steve Feasey

Mutant City - Steve Feasey
Mutant City
Fifty years ago, the world was almost destroyed by a chemical war. Now the world is divided into the mutants and the pure. Mutants must fight for survival in a scarred landscape, while the privileged pure live out a life of disease-free perfection.

Thirteen years ago, a covert government experimental facility was shut down and its residents killed. The secrets it held died with them. But five extraordinary kids survived.

Today four teenagers are about to discover that their mutant blood brings with it special powers. They are heading straight for Mutant City with rival factions close behind. One by one, they face the enemy. Together, they must stay alive . . .
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Bloomsbury*


This was such an awesome little book! When I first heard about Mutant City I wasn't 100% certain that it was going to be a book for me. I've never watched the entire of the X-Men films all of the way through and I wasn't sure if it was going to take a more alien-focused route. It didn't do any of the things that I worried about and I absolutely loved it. I loved the corrupt government and their motivations, reading about the segregation of the Pure and the Mutants, the fight for what's right. Mutant City is such a captivating little book; I'm really hoping there's another in the series!

The book reminded me of a variety of different YA books that I've read recently; Revolution 19, Take Back The Skies, Goddess, which deeply involve themselves in the problems within society. This segregation and inbuilt class system is shown to be corrupt and completely one-sided. The prejudices that are held against the Mutants are completely unjustified and unbelievable untrue. The society of Mutants are equally as varied in personality and morals as that of the Pure's. YA is becoming such a wonderful genre to read. There are so many powerful male and female characters conveying so many important messages. Reading books like Mutant City really makes me appreciate how far the genre has come since I was a teen. 

Steve Feasey's book shows the reunited team of Mutants which were originally created by the government. Mutant City focuses more on each individuals journey to this. There are so many exciting and anxiety inducing scenes that I found myself hoping that they'd all reach there in one piece! The novel shows so many different dangerous creatures and attitudes; it's not so simple to live in a world of prejudice. The characters that were created were wonderful. I loved each and every one of them; whether they were the heroes or villains. With many twists and turns this is guaranteed to keep you turning the pages. I really cannot recommend it enough. 

There's only really one thing left to ask you, whose side are you on? Are you Pure or are you Mutant? 

5 comments:

  1. I love X-men! I just got a copy of this one. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh this one sounds like such a good read! I hadn't heard of it before now but I love the whole mutant aspect it has. Great review :)
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leah,
    Thank you for such a great review of my book. I'm really pleased you liked it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! :) I look forward to reading more of your work.

      Delete
  4. I'm a huge X-Men fan so this sounds instantly appealing to me! I love stories that show how society gone amiss can affect the world and the people who inhabit it. It's so believable that if there actually were mutants the ''normals'' would try and segregate and oppress. This book sounds like it really pairs that aspect up well with action and plot! Thanks for bringing this one to my attention Leah ^^ I'll be adding it to my tbr! Glad you enjoyed it so much :) Lovely review xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).