'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 5 May 2014

REVIEW: A Murder Most Unladylike - Robin Stevens

A Murder Most Unladylike - Robin Stevens
Murder Most Unladylike (Wells and Wong, #1)
Deepdean School for Girls, 1934. When Daisy Wells and Hazel Wong set up their very own deadly secret detective agency, they struggle to find any truly exciting mysteries to investigate. (Unless you count the case of Lavinia's missing tie. Which they don't, really.)

But then Hazel discovers the Science Mistress, Miss Bell, lying dead in the Gym. She thinks it must all have been a terrible accident - but when she and Daisy return five minutes later, the body has disappeared. Now the girls know a murder must have taken place . . . and there's more than one person at Deepdean with a motive.

Now Hazel and Daisy not only have a murder to solve: they have to prove a murder happened in the first place. Determined to get to the bottom of the crime before the killer strikes again (and before the police can get there first, naturally), Hazel and Daisy must hunt for evidence, spy on their suspects and use all the cunning, scheming and intuition they can muster. But will they succeed? And can their friendship stand the test?
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, RH Kids*

OK, without a doubt, this is one of the cutest and most lovely little books that I have ever read! Before I even start to review the content I have to mention the cover. Look at it! It's absolutely beautiful. It's one of my favourite book covers of the year so far. It just screams pick me up. Love it, love it, love it. Now that's out of the way, I can talk about this book. Robin Stevens has produced one of the most adorable Middle Grade books that I have ever read. I loved Daisy and Hazel, I loved their adventures and I more than adored the setting. I absolutely devoured this book and really cannot fathom why anyone could dislike it!

Stevens has definitely done her research. Never have I felt more a part of the 1930's than I did reading A Murder Most Unladylike. With the use of the very upper middle class language and exclamations, the various outfits mentioned, the school routine and the behaviour of the girls, I fell straight into the era with a thump and was reluctant to leave! Daisy is bossy and insufferable, but I absolutely loved her. She was everything she needed to be for this book. Slightly egotistical, loved above so many other girls in the school and with the ability to get away with so much stuff. She made the perfect 'Sherlock' for this book. Hazel is Daisy's opposite in every way. She is much more insecure, she isn't as popular but she is the perfect contrast to Daisy's character and made for the perfect 'Watson'. Their personalities balanced each other nicely and I adored them as a duo.

A Murder Most Unladylike is expertly plotted with equal amounts of tension, suspense and laugh out loud moments. I loved the amateur detective behaviour of Daisy and Hazel in their attempt at finding out who it was that killed Miss Bell. From their late night adventures across the school, to their spreading word between the pupils about the murder and their following of teachers, I was kept entertained from the first page to the last. This is the perfect book to curl up with and read it one sitting. It's light-hearted despite dealing with murders, it's entertaining and it has some of the most lovable characters I've read in a long time. I can't recommend this book enough to you guys! Get to reading it :). 

1 comment:

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).