'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Sunday, 4 May 2014

REVIEW: Glaze - Kim Curran

Glaze - Kim Curran
Glaze
Petri Quinn is counting down the days till she turns 16 and can get on GLAZE – the ultimate social network that is bringing the whole world together into one global family. But when a peaceful government protest turns into a full-blown riot with Petri shouldering the blame, she’s handed a ban. Her life is over before it’s even started.

Desperate to be a part of the hooked-up society, Petri finds an underground hacker group and gets a black market chip fitted. But this chip has a problem: it has no filter and no off switch. Petri can see everything happening on GLAZE, all the time. Including things she was never meant to see.

As her life is plunged into danger, Petri is faced with a choice. Join GLAZE… or destroy it.
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Kim Curran*

Kim Curran does it again - she's smashed out another excellent book which leaves me wanting to read more and more! This book definitely hit home with me. Many of the things that Kim explores about social media are things that I worry about now. Curran raises issues of online security, privacy and oppression. There is so much bundled into this novel and it all worked perfectly. Glaze makes for an engaging topical read and one that I found so hard to put down! I've adored every character that Kim has created so far. From Scott in Shift to Petri here. I adored Petri as a protagonist; from her name to her personality to how typically teenage she is. If that makes sense. She is unpredictable, moody, happy, conflicted and absolutely determined to get on Glaze. She does everything she can, but on her path to this she discovers some uncomfortable truths about the program and picks up some amazing friends on the way.

The reason I loved Glaze so much is because Kim put into words exactly how I feel about social media. I can imagine it's exactly what many of us feel about it too. It has so much potential danger and it most certainly succeeds in brainwashing people - just look at the media now. Through Petri, Kim manages to touch on so many social issues as well. The fact that Petri feels left out from everyone because she's too young for Glaze definitely mirrors that of what it would be like today. Imagine the shock at finding out a friend doesn't have an account on Facebook or  Twitter. It's definitely something I experienced a few years ago. Our first thoughts were "But how am I going to stay in touch with you at university?!" completely ignoring the act of actually meeting up in person.

Glaze manages to capture this addiction to technology and the internet perfectly. Curran explores the danger of our reliance on social media as a way of contacting people or of finding out information about the world. What I loved is how Curran gave Petri many flaws, but also developed her as a character so perfectly through Glaze. Petri underwent so many changes but continued to improve as a character. I loved her strong mindedness, her irrationality and her empathy with so many people. Glaze is one of the reads that is impossible to put down. I adored it so much. With action, adventure, technology, high running emotions and political undertones, this is one book that you do not want to miss!

1 comment:

  1. Woah, I have never heard of Glaze before, or read anything by Kim Curran but I want to read this. Absolutely going on my TBR shelf! The concept of social media and online privacy is something I worry a lot about too so I'm very eager to see how well it all works here. Your praise on the world building and characters make it sound like something I would compulsively read for sure! I need Glaze in my life :D Thanks for bringing this one to my attention Leah ^^ Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).