'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Wednesday, 30 April 2014

REVIEW: Take Back The Skies - Lucy Saxon

Take Back The Skies - Lucy Saxon
Take Back the Skies
Catherine Hunter is the daughter of a senior government official on the island of Anglya. She’s one of the privileged – she has luxurious clothes, plenty to eat, and is protected from the Collections which have ravaged families throughout the land. But Catherine longs to escape the confines of her life, before her dad can marry her off to a government brat and trap her forever.

So Catherine becomes Cat, pretends to be a kid escaping the Collections, and stows away on the skyship Stormdancer. As they leave Anglya behind and brave the storms that fill the skies around the islands of Tellus, Cat’s world becomes more turbulent than she could ever have imagined, and dangerous secrets unravel her old life once and for all . . .
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Bloomsbury*

This book was such a breath of fresh air for me! I'd started falling into a bit of a reading slump; nothing had really gripped me and flown me away into another world for a few reads so I picked up Take Back the Skies and I'm so glad I did. I've been trying to put off reading it for the longest time - it isn't due out until June but I couldn't resist any longer. The beautiful purple cover was calling to me and I was intrigued by the concept of skyships. Before I started reading it, I expected them to be sort of Marissa Meyer style pods but they're nothing like that. They are actual sea ships but they fly. This is probably my most favourite mode of transport that I have ever heard of. Why is this not real?!

I can't believe this is a debut, written when Lucy Saxon was just 16. I am in awe of her talent and her imagination. The world building in this book is beautiful and I could picture it all so clearly. The contrast between a variety of places featured in Take Back the Skies is written so well; I felt like I was running alongside Cat through all of her adventures. Not only does the novel paint such vivid pictures in your mind, it also displays the depth of government corruption. This book deals with such deep and dark issues; I was reeling at the revelation of some of things here. It definitely had me thinking a lot about the government and the agendas of people. It's a book which makes you sit up and take note. 

Parts of the novel were quite cheesy. Some very Bond-esque behaviour from Cat, Fox and the villain. It made me smile but it definitely didn't take away from the book. In fact, I'd say it added to the book. It definitely fitted in well with the way Cat was depicted. She is such an entertaining, energetic and spontaneous character - I loved her! Fox was a bit of a tortured soul but I loved how he developed, as well as several of the protagonists. The only little problem I had was that some of the conflicts seemed to be solved so easily. It made it much less believable, but still enjoyable. 

Take Back the Skies is a brilliant debut and Lucy Saxon is definitely an author to keep your eye on! There are so many twists and turns in the book; I was absolutely captivated from the first page until the last. She writes beautifully and entertainingly and I can't wait to read more in this series! 

1 comment:

  1. Any book that can get you off the brink of a reading slump is totally worth the read in my books! And sea ships that can fly? That sounds amazing. I want this to be true! Yikes, the author was 16 when she wrote this? That's kind of (seriously) incredible!! I love that this sounds like a book that plays itself like a movie inside your head, even if it did have some cheesy bits thrown in...most movies these days have cheesy bits anyways XD I'll definitely be checking this one out thanks to your fantastic review Leah! xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).