'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Wednesday, 16 April 2014

REVIEW: Bird Box - Josh Malerman

Bird Box - Josh Malerman
Bird Box: A Novel
Most people ignored the outrageous reports on the news. But they became too frequent, they became too real. And soon, they began happening down the street. Then the Internet died. The television and radio went silent. The phones stopped ringing. And we couldn't look outside anymore. Malorie raises the children the only way she can; indoors. The house is quiet. The doors are locked, the curtains are closed, mattresses are nailed over the windows. They are out there. She might let them in. The children sleep in the bedroom across the hall. Soon she will have to wake them. Soon she will have to blindfold them. Today they must leave the house. Today they will risk everything.
I was so excited when Ula pointed this book out to me in a charity shop. It's a book that I've been eyeing up and sounds absolutely fantastic. This is a book that I read with such anticipation. I didn't know what was going to come up in the next chapters. It's told in both past and present tense with each chapter alternating. This only furthered the suspense. What on earth could there be that could drive people so insane that they then kill themselves? This book really freaked me out. I just wish the entire book had lived up to my expectations. This was well on its way to being a 4* book, but the ending left me wanting more.

What I found most interesting was pondering about the point of view of the creatures (aliens, people, whatever). Did they mean to hurt everyone? Why were they there? Where have they come from? What are they? There are just so many questions and it just leaves me wanting more. It feels a little unfinished, but I suppose that's the point. There is no simple way to get out of the situation that these characters find themselves in. I found the concept absolutely terrifying. What would we do if we were in that situation? The thought of not being able to look outside in case of seeing something that would damage me beyond repair is terrifying. To not have the freedom to leave your home, to live your life normally, to spend time with friends and family, to not even be able to go and buy food - horrific. I didn't expect it to be as horrifying a story as it was, but it was definitely a book which had me turning on ALL of the lights to go downstairs in the night - even though that isn't what you want. I don't want to see the creatures! 

The only thing I wish about this book is that it had a more solid ending. It feels unfinished. I suppose the events which unfold are unfinished, but I don't know. I expected a little more from it. I didn't feel satisfied closing the book. It left me a little like 'oh... well, what now?' and not in a good way. Apart from the ending though, this makes for such a chilling but brilliant read. It's impossible to put down and guaranteed to freak you out. I really enjoyed reading it and looking forward to more from the author! 

5 comments:

  1. This one sounds interesting, adding it to my tbr list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you got me on my toes! I'm dying to read this book as it sounds so, so interesting but the part on which I might have to turn on all the lights to more around the house at night sort of freaks me out. I'm not a big fan of scary reads but I feel like this one deserves my attention. =) Thanks for the fab review!

    Patricia @ The Book Spine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh I am glad I passed it to you. I don't think I'd be able to read it, I am not for scary things haha :D
    I am curious, but not that curious!
    I am glad you liked it well enough, despite some drawbacks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The creatures point of view is part of the book? I love the sound of that.
    You got me intrigued. I want to read it ASAP
    Great review
    Ruty@Reading...Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first heard about this book last week, but I had no idea what it was about until I read your review. It sounds good, even though you thought the ending was slightly lacking. I'll be adding it to my to-read list.

    Thanks for the review.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).