'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Sunday, 30 March 2014

REVIEW: A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold - George R. R. Martin

A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold
George R. R. Martin
A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold (A Song of Ice and Fire #3, Part 2)
The Starks are scattered.

Robb Stark may be King in the North, but he must bend to the will of the old tyrant Walder Frey if he is to hold his crown. And while his youngest sister, Arya, has escaped the clutches of the depraved Cersei Lannister and her son, the capricious boy-king Joffrey, Sansa Stark remains their captive.

Meanwhile, across the ocean, Daenerys Stormborn, the last heir of the Dragon King, delivers death to the slave-trading cities of Astapor and Yunkai as she approaches Westeros with vengeance in her heart.

I'm not a huge user of gifs in my review, but if any book has ever warranted the use of them it's this one. I knew what was coming in this book and after the cliff hanger of part one I dived straight into it. I went through a HUGE amount of emotions reading this book. It went a little something like this:

So yup. A lot of gifs but that is everything that I went through in that 550 pages! I didn't know how else to put into words the absolute turmoil I felt when I was reading this book. GRRM, how can I EVER forgive you for THAT CHAPTER?! I was furious and distraught and oh my god. The 'Red Wedding was even worse than I imagined it to be. It was horrific and it didn't involve the characters I thought it would either! This series has truly got a hold of me and it isn't letting go any time soon. GRRM has a certain strength in being able to part from his characters so easily. I always thought it was be a difficult thing to do and I don't know if he does find it difficult, but he is almost ruthless in his culling. I daren't get too attached to any characters just in case of what might happen to them!

The characters are developing amazingly. I can't get over the transformation in Daenerys and Jaime Lannister especially. They're growing and I'm surprised in how my emotions are changing towards them. I have to say though, I can't imagine Tyrion Lannister not being my favourite character. He's been one of the best from the first book and he just gets better and better. He's always been intelligent but now it feels like he's really coming into his own. I'm really looking forward to seeing how things develop in the next few books with him! I was shocked by a few turns of events concerning the Stark girls. There's so much going on in this book; it's impossible to put it down for too long! I'd hate to live in the world of A Song of Ice and Fire; it would be absolutely terrifying.

GRRM writes such a complicated but amazing plot and it keeps thickening. The thing I love most about this series is that, despite so many characters and so many different sub-plots it's still easy to keep track of. I still remember the characters and what's going on with them. Every characters story is equally as thrilling and captivating as the last. There are so many twists and turns, shocking events and plenty of drama to keep you flicking through the pages. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself once I'm up to date with these books. At least the wait isn't going to be as long as most for the next book in the series! Bring on A Feast For Crows! 

1 comment:

  1. Yaaaaaay I am SOOOO glad you are reading these, and enjoying them as I did, and have about the same reactions, too! We're gonna talk about this EXTENSIVELY in London :D
    I agree with you here; Martin has such an easy way parting with his characters! Granted, he's got MANY, but that doesn't mean you can just ditch them!
    And yes, it's really easy to keep track, isn't it!? I think it's because of separated chapters, so you're never away from someone for long because their chapter comes by soon enough.
    Now I'm not sure which 2 books happen simultaneously, I think 3 and 4? So you'll be going 'back in time' but read about different people, so it should be a good read! :)
    I cannot believe how fast you're reading these tomes though! :D Crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).