'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Sunday, 16 March 2014

REVIEW: Stolen Songbird - Danielle L. Jensen

Stolen Songbird - Danielle L. Jensen
Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy, #1)
For five centuries, a witch’s curse has bound the trolls to their city beneath the ruins of Forsaken Mountain. Time enough for their dark and nefarious magic to fade from human memory and into myth. But a prophesy has been spoken of a union with the power to set the trolls free, and when Cécile de Troyes is kidnapped and taken beneath the mountain, she learns there is far more to the myth of the trolls than she could have imagined.

Cécile has only one thing on her mind after she is brought to Trollus: escape. Only the trolls are clever, fast, and inhumanly strong. She will have to bide her time, wait for the perfect opportunity.

But something unexpected happens while she’s waiting – she begins to fall for the enigmatic troll prince to whom she has been bonded and married. She begins to make friends. And she begins to see that she may be the only hope for the half-bloods – part troll, part human creatures who are slaves to the full-blooded trolls. There is a rebellion brewing. And her prince, Tristan, the future king, is its secret leader.

As Cécile becomes involved in the intricate political games of Trollus, she becomes more than a farmer’s daughter. She becomes a princess, the hope of a people, and a witch with magic powerful enough to change Trollus forever.
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Strange Chemistry*

I feel like I've been waiting to read this book forever. Seriously. I did my internship with Angry Robot and that was where I first heard about this book and saw the cover. Ever since that I have been waiting for this book to come out and MAN did it live up to my expectations! Trolls aren't creatures that I'm used to reading about. In fact, off the top of my head the only trolls that I have encountered are in Harry Potter. The trolls portrayed by Jensen are a huge step away from the stereotype of massive, lumbering, unintelligent beasts. I can't imagine anyone yelling 'troll in the dungeon' here. This book went above and beyond what I was expecting. Seeing the 5* ratings rolling in, I couldn't resist much longer and plunged into this world. 

I cannot believe Stolen Songbird is a debut. I really can't. This book is wonderful. Jensen's writing style is absolutely beautiful, the world building is fantastic and I absolutely adored the entire concept of the book. Cécile is captured and sold to the trolls pretty much instantly in the book, and the rest of the book plays out her life in Trollus. I loved seeing her develop as a character, but I also loved the world of Trollus. It's a repressive society with many outdated views. The story of Stolen Songbird is set way back before the battle for equality between the sexes and before the battle against hierarchies. Despite this repressive society, I loved that the women and the repressed weren't afraid to stand up for themselves. 

There was always plenty of action unfolding in this book. Every chapter contained something which prevented you from putting the book down. I wandered around with this book everywhere I went just praying for any chance to sit and pick it back up. It even came to the gym with me. That's just how good this book is. I couldn't bring myself to stay away from the events that unfold around Cécile and Tristan. Tristan. Ohhhh Tristan, Tristan, Tristan. I absolutely adore his character, I really do. He is impossible to hate. I love the whole concept of being bonded to someone and the rituals they undertook in order to bind this marriage. Not everything is simple (as would be expected from a forced marriage) but every scene with them in provides entertainment and frustration! Never have I wanted a couple to just get over themselves in all my life - just go for it! 

This book has everything that I've come to expect from Strange Chemistry; amazing protagonists, original plots and emotionally draining events - I could not get enough of this book. I will definitely be purchasing a copy as soon as it's available and making sure that every fellow book lover will have one. I cannot recommend this book. It is beautifully written, the plot flows effortlessly and I am praying for the next book already. After that ending, I need the next book. Stolen Songbird will give you all of the feels and will transport you to an entirely new world. I loved it so much and can't recommend it enough! 

5 comments:

  1. This book is one of my favorite of all times!*.*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a million, Leah! Super excited to read your review and I'm so glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bloody brilliant! :D Probably THE best SC book I've read so far :)

      Delete
  3. I had never even heard of this book but man does it ever sound amazing!! I've never read much about trolls either - except for the stereotypical lore so this sounds extra exciting because it's fresh! And I adore how you described that it was just so impossible to put down :D Sign me up! Wonderful review ^^ I'm off to add this one to my tbr shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All these positive reviews make me so happy. I also really loved this book (can't wait to post my review of it :D) It's indeed hard to believe that it's a debut, because she blew me away and I'm very excited for the next book.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).