'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 3 March 2014

REVIEW: A Clash of Kings - George R. R. Martin

A Clash of Kings - George R. R. Martin
A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2)
Throughout Westeros, the cold winds are rising. From the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding lands of Winterfell, chaos reigns as pretenders to the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms stake their claims through tempest, turmoil and war. As a prophecy of doom cuts across the sky - a comet the colour of blood and flame - five factions struggle for control of a divided land. Brother plots against brother and the dead rise to walk in the night. Against a backdrop of incest, fratricide, alchemy and murder, the price of glory is measured in blood.

“People often claim to hunger for truth, but seldom like the taste when it's served up.” 
This is the last of my A Song of Ice and Fire rereads! As of now, I'll be going into GRRM's world completely unaware of what he's going to throw at me and I'm really excited about this! A Clash of Kings was equally as brilliant as A Game of Thrones. I definitely appreciated it so, so much more this time round as well. I was able to take in many more things from this massive world and I read things that I had completely forgotten about completely! There were certain moments where my heart was in my throat... until I remembered how things actually went down.
“I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men.”
This is such an exciting series; I really cannot get enough. The war and the story is getting darker and darker and Winter is ever approaching. The characters motives twist and turn as the book progresses and I was completely drawn in. GRRM's development of his characters is fantastic. How he manages to stay on top of all of the story lines and each individual character history is beyond me - the man is a genius! I loved hearing more from Sansa this time round, and I really hope that she starts to strengthen a little in the next few books. She has so much potential. Melisandre absolutely terrifies me and I am dreading reading about what will come from her in the future. Tyrion is still impossible to hate and I really hope things work out for him and his lady!

“In the end words are just wind.”
A Clash of Kings brings in further betrayal, death and destruction. If you're looking for a happy read this is definitely not the book for you. Despite it's dark subject, it's completely enthralling and unputdownable. This is one of the most addictive series' that I've ever read. There isn't many 500+ pages that I will power through and remain interested in for more than a week, but I was reading this book for roughly two and a half and I didn't once get bored of it. Taking my time reading it allowed me to enjoy the world more and to get the most that I could from his writing. George R. R. Martin's writing is to be savoured, not rushed, and I really can't recommend these books enough!


3 comments:

  1. So glad you liked it! I found it even better than the first novel, and the rest are just more and more exciting. I loved the last two the most I think, and I may reread them soon, because GRRM is amazing.
    It takes a long time to read them but it's so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just went out and bought the box set of these books today. I can't wait to get stuck into them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you liked it so much! I powered through the first two books in the series last year and got about 200 pages into the third, but put it down and haven't picked it up again for about six months. I've been wanting to read it before season four of the show comes out, but I have a feeling I won't read it in time. Anyway, great review!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).