'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 6 March 2014

Harry Potter #54

This is a meme hosted by me here at my blog :).The aim of this meme is to share with fellow bloggers a character, spell, chapter, object or quote from the books/ films/ J. K. Rowling herself or anything Potter related! I will be picking a topic within HP for us to focus on each week and then if anyone wants to take part feel free! All I ask is to link back here, to my blog :). There is now a full list of the topics to come in the Harry Potter section of my blog here


This weeks has actually been a no brainer for me. At first glance I should probably go for James Potter, but I've picked Snape. It will always be Snape. I'll admit I've never liked James Potter. Granted we only saw glimpses of him, but the arrogance of the childhood James was too much for me. He would have been someone I would have hated in school. I know I know, people change blah blah blah, but that's all we're really shown of him apart from a few OotP things. The only thing I prefer James over is that without him we would never have had The Boy Who Lived.

“But this is touching, Severus,” said Dumbledore seriously. “Have you grown to care for the boy, after all?”
“For him?” shouted Snape. “Expecto Patronum!”
From the tip of his wand burst the silver doe. She landed on the office floor, bounded once across the office, and soared out of the window. Dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears.
“After all this time?”
“Always,” said Snape."

I picked Snape because he, despite everything, protected Harry, he risked his own life for Harry, he was Dumbledore's (well, Lily's) until the very end. He didn't succeed in hiding his hatred of Harry; that much is obvious, but I don't think I blame him for that any more. I mean he was beyond shitty with HP, but then I imagine if I was in that situation. It's tough to not feel empathy with Snape when you think he had to put up with James reincarnated - his childhood bully and someone who married the woman he loves. I'm not saying what Snape did was right - Harry is not his father - but it definitely leaves room for empathy.
“Severus Snape wasn't yours," said Harry. "Snape was Dumbledores, Dumbledores from the moment you started hunting down my mother...”

11 comments:

  1. No matter what I'd be put through in school, I would NEVER take it out on kids, let alone one that already got through so much. Harry was an orphan, living with those Muggles, he was clueless about being a wizard, he had no friends before Hogwarts... and to top it all, Snape was a monster from day one. I am sorry but this is no excuse.
    Fine, he hated James and all so he was mean to Harry because he saw James in him. But Harry was also Lily's, and if Snape's love was as strong as he claimed, he should consider that as well. Saving Harry's life so begrudgingly is seriously lame. Ignore him, or at least try to be less monstrous. Harry did nothing to deserve it.
    I agree on James. I would not like him as well. He's so obnoxious! I guess he changed and all but still, he was an ass.
    I honestly dislike both. I see why people like Snape but I won't ever forgive him. He went out of his way to punish Harry. That's lame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I think it takes a certain type of strength to then take on the task of Harry's protector DESPITE all of his feelings towards him. That's how I see it. I don't condone how he treated HP, but that doesn't mean to say that I don't see why he did it at the same time - although it's pretty unforgivable.

      James just comes across like a right ass. Haha. I love how we talk about these as if they're real :D

      Delete
    2. GURL THEY ARE REAL. :| Don't let me catch you say AS IF ever again.

      Delete
  2. *jumps right in here* >.< See, I tend to agree with Ula. To me,Snape's treatment of Harry is inexcusable. He claims to have saved Harry because of his love for Lily but then how would Lily have wanted Harry to be treated? I agree with you 100% that it takes a certain type of person to become Harry's protector despite hating the boy but I feel like that realization should have also made him see Harry for Harry. Not just as a James knock-off. I mean James was a spoiled brat and Harry was an orphan abused by Muggles...

    I do think James comes off as a total ass in his youth. Especially in Snape's memories of him. I wish we could have seen memories of how he won Lily over :( BUT the grown James was dedicated to fighting the dark side and protecting his wife and son. To me that wins over ♥ and Leah lol @ your comment about talking about these as if they're real!! I love it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS- I love you new look, your little chick's adoreable xx

      Delete
    2. I see what you mean. I completely get that Snape's behaviour was inexcusable, but then again I can still see why he found it almost impossible to ignore. In certain aspects, HP does have James' arrogance etc. and has moments where even I wanted to shake him, but yeah Snape should have been able to distinguish between them as father and son not a direct reincarnation. It must have been tough though to have to see HP as a reminder of how Lily chose James. It's a very tough question because, in all honesty, I don't really like either!
      I agree with James fighting against the dark side, but then I think there is something so courageous about playing double agent with Voldemort in order to protect Harry, and I think that's what it all comes down to. If it hadn't been for Snape, HP might have died several times over!

      I love how this weeks is a debate too :D eek!
      And thank you :) Ula made it for me!! xxx

      Delete
  3. I never liked Snape and after Half Blood Prince hated him, probably even more than Umbridge. But that didn't last long. Just that one chapter in Deathly Hallows and despicable Snape became one of my favourite characters ever.
    I don't like how he treated Harry but I get it, you know, I do. Imagine having to look after the love of your life's kid whose face only reminds you of not only your school bully but also the guy who got your girl. That's gotta hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the thing I was thinking :). It doesn't excuse his behaviour at all - he should have known better - but I 100% see why he acted as he did. A constant reminder of all that he's lost really.

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. The glimpses we got of James in his youth were not very flattering; I've always wondered what the backstory was behind Lily ending up marrying him. I didn't care for Snape for the longest time, but he really won me over in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah same here. I'd love to know more about Harry's parents. I feel like we got to know more about Lily than James, and I'd really like to know how everything changed from Snape's memory to Harry's birth.

      Delete
  5. James was an ass. I'd totally go for slightly evil awkward underdog Snape. I love how throughout the series we're constantly on the fence whether Snape is good or bad.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).