'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 24 February 2014

REVIEW: Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher
Thirteen Reasons Why
You can't stop the future. You can't rewind the past. The only way to learn the secret. . . is to press play.

Clay Jensen doesn't want anything to do with the tapes Hannah Baker made. Hannah is dead. Her secrets should be buried with her.

Then Hannah's voice tells Clay that his name is on her tapes-- and that he is, in some way, responsible for her death.

All through the night, Clay keeps listening. He follows Hannah's recorded words throughout his small town. . .

. . .and what he discovers changes his life forever.
Why oh why did I wait so long to read this book? It's been cropping up over the blogosphere for awhile now and is a book that I've heard a lot about anyway. This book is my book of the year so far. It caught me up and blew me away. It's been awhile since a book has made me think so hard about the consequences of even the smallest of actions or remarks. Thirteen Reasons Why has definitely opened my eyes to so many things and it has moved me so much. I still can't get this book out of my head. It's written beautifully and is so full of emotion. I'm going to have to get my hands on Asher's other book as soon as possible!

The mark of a good book is definitely in the amount that the author can get you to care about a character. I felt like I knew Hannah and Clay. I so desperately wanted her to be alive at the end of the book, even though you know it's not possible. I felt like I could imagine the pain that Clay was going through as he listened to the tapes. It was heartbreaking but so eye opening. I didn't understand some of her actions towards the end of the book - I mean, I understood them, but I couldn't fully get my head around the why's of it. It's definitely a book which shows how so many little things can impact on someone's life as a whole. It may not seem like a big thing at the time, but without knowing, it could be the tipping point for someone.

I can't recommend this book enough. I really can't. It's eye opening and brings all the feels. You'll need an Epic Reads box of tissues especially for this book. Hannah's words are still stuck in my head and I think it will be awhile before I forget about this book. It's definitely a book that will make you think and will, in my opinion, make you so much more aware of how even the slightest remark or action can impact on a person. Thirteen Reasons Why ends with a slightly more uplifting ending. An ending which left me hoping that those that listened to the tapes have learnt something from Hannah's experience - I know I did. 




6 comments:

  1. I read this one last year after hearing awesome things about it. It's not my usual kind of book but I ended up really enjoying it. Definitely needed a massive box of tissues for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too. Thank you for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I literally adore this book. I'm glad you did, too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this 4 years ago and totally loved it. Happy you enjoyed this as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this was one of the first books I read when I started my blog. I'm so, so glad you enjoyed this book. It was so good, but really emotional. It definitely leaves a massive impact on you when you're finished.
    Such an amazing review, Leah! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's true, you really do hope that she's alive even though you know she isn't. And Asher's writing was so beautiful, and it really had an impact on me!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).