'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Saturday, 1 February 2014

REVIEW: Beauty - Sarah Pinborough

Beauty by Sarah Pinborough
Beauty
Beauty is a beautifully illustrated retelling of the Sleeping Beauty story which takes all the elements of the classic fairytale that we love (the handsome prince, the ancient curse, the sleeping girl and, of course, the haunting castle) and puts a modern spin on the characters, their motives and their desires. It's fun, contemporary, sexy, and perfect for fans of ONCE UPON A TIME, GRIMM, SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN and more.
I'm not usually big on reading a lot of fairy tales but the absolutely gorgeous cover of this book grabbed my attention straight away. This is the third book in Pinborough's Tales From the Kingdoms series, but I had to pick up Beauty first. Sleeping Beauty is one of my ultimate favourites and I couldn't resist seeing the twist that had been put into it. This is a retelling like no other that I have read. It's dark, mysterious, thrilling and absolutely addictive. It's a far step away from the original yet keeps the bare bones of the story. I loved this retelling more than the original and couldn't resist ordering the other two books, Poison and Charms.

There isn't much I can say in the review without giving away the twists and turns of this new adaptation. I think the main thing that captured me the most was the inclusion of so many different fairy tales with Sleeping Beauty being the main focus. This is something completely new to me and the book definitely benefited from it. We have elements of Little Red Riding Hood and Beauty and the Beast making an appearance in a variety of forms. It made for such a fast and addictive read. I closed the book yearning for more of this story. I felt like it wasn't long enough and wanted to read even more about these characters. What happened following the ending? Ahhh questions!

Beauty is a stunningly written retelling and it has definitely got me addicted to Sarah Pinborough's writing. I'm so excited to pick up more of her work following this. The illustrations within the book itself are gorgeous and it compliments the story itself nicely. I loved the entire thing. The cover is one of those touchable ones, with the wire-like feeling of the spider-webs in the corner. This book is flawless and I'm definitely excited to read Poison and Charm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).