'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 16 December 2013

REVIEW: Insurgent - Veronica Roth

Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
I HAVE DONE BAD THINGS.
I CAN'T TAKE THEM BACK, 
AND THEY ARE PART OF WHO I AM.

Tris has survived a brutal attack on her former home and family. But she has paid a terrible price. Wracked by grief and guilt, she becomes ever more reckless as she struggles to accept her new future.

Yet if Tris wants to uncover the truth about her world, she must be stronger than ever... because more shocking choices and sacrifices lie ahead.
Insurgent picks up where Divergent lets off. Our characters are still coming to terms with the revelations of the events and are harbouring the grief for the family and friends that they have lost. They now have to adapt to this new society and try and scrape together the remains of the last to continue fighting the war against Jeanine and Erudite. I liked that this book picks up immediately following Divergent. There's no 'few weeks later' element to it so we're straight back into the action. I was looking forward to finding out where Roth was going to take her story, and I wasn't disappointed.

“We both have war inside us. Sometimes it keeps us alive. Sometimes it threatens to destroy us.”

This book was filled with many twists and turns and so many shocking events. Roth certainly isn't afraid of killing/ hurting her characters or putting them through hell and back. I found myself more into this book than the previous, though this may be down to the fact that this is my first read of Insurgent. T really enjoyed Roth's further crafting of the Chicago that she's created. It seems to be so incredibly realistic. I'll admit that I saw the secret that Marcus was harbouring coming - I don't think it was done secretively particularly well. Elements of it reminded me slightly of Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale and there are certainly worse books that you can have your work compared to!

“I am collecting the lessons each faction has to teach me, and storing them in my mind like a guidebook for moving through the world. There is always something to learn, always something that is important to understand” 


Something that I love is how many moral lessons are placed in this series. I like seeing Tris learn and develop as a person, though at certain points I got seriously bored of her and Four's angsty behaviour. It sometimes felt like Roth was trying too hard to merge the entirety of the factions into one person. I get that that's what she is trying to show us, that we shouldn't be segregated by a test and that we have different elements of each faction within us, but it feels a little too forced at times. 

“Insurgent, he says. Noun. A person who acts in opposition to the established authority, who is not necessarily regarded as a belligerent.”


I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick read and written really well. I didn't see any of the issues that I found in Divergent so I'm really hoping that this doesn't unfold further in Allegiant. I was sad to see that nothing more came of the superficiality of the comments towards Jeanine in the previous book, and I did find myself wishing that certain parts of the book had held off until Allegiant. I'm a little apprehensive going into the final book because of all of the disappointed reviews, but I really enjoyed this one so here's hoping!


4 comments:

  1. Lovely review hon! I enjoyed this book way more than Divergent as well. It's very realistic, fast paces and kind of horrible at times, but that's why I loved it so much.
    Allegiant is a bit worse than first 2 novels, but still original and different, so you won't hate it, I hope. :)
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just have to be prepared that Allegiant is probably not going to be what you expect. I enjoyed it though. Tris and Four were a bit angsty in this one for me too. Still love them though. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I actually enjoyed Divergent more than Insurgent. I really don't have a specific reason beyond personal preference. Good luck with Allegiant!

    Samantha @ Reading-AndCoffee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous review Leah! You reminded me of all the things I did love about Insurgent - and a few of the ones I didn't love as well hehe! Like Tris and Four's angsty behavior throughout...ugh! That aspect really bummed me out. But, like you I was addicted to the intensity of it throughout and the morals were also wonderful to see through Tris' development! Good luck with Allegiant..I still haven't read it yet but I'll be checking out your review :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).