'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Tuesday, 10 December 2013

REVIEW: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown - Holly Black

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown - Holly Black
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown’s gates, you can never leave.

One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is a wholly original story of rage and revenge, of guilt and horror, and of love and loathing from bestselling and acclaimed author Holly Black.
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Indigo*

It has been awhile since I've read any other vampires since J. R. Ward's Blackdagger Brotherhood, so when I came across this book I was instantly intrigued. The concept sounded fairly original and I was interested in finding out more about these Coldtowns that Holly Black has created. Unfortunately, this book was nothing like I expected. I mean, don't get me wrong I did enjoy reading the book, it just didn't blow me away like I hoped it would. I expected there to be more emphasis on the TV show aspect of the book and I felt a little let down by the main characters development. It all fell a little flat for me.

At one point, in my teens, I read a lot of vampire/ paranormal fiction so was hoping for something refreshing from this one based on the synopsis. Unfortunately, we still have the perfectly 'ordinary' girl who happens to catch the eye of the 'I'm bad for you' vampire. It just gets to me. I feel like I've read it a million times and it gets old. I did like that these vampires were portrayed as killers though. This was definitely different from a lot of the romanticised versions of them that I have read. I liked that the darker side was explored and that those that were bitten had a chance at not turning.

The book had quite a few action scenes which did grip me - hence the 3* - but I just felt a little let down by it all. Part of that could be to blame on my high expectations having read a lot of the hype that the book received. This book is a fairly long read at 400+ pages - something longer than I'm used to anyway at the moment - so it took me awhile to read. I liked Holly's writing style; it was descriptive and made for easy reading. I just wish I could have liked this book more. I feel that perhaps if the characters had been a little more likeable and easier to sympathise with, I would have liked it more.

Overall the book has a great premise and I did like reading about the history of a few of the vampires. It makes for an interesting read, but it didn't live up to my expectations.


2 comments:

  1. Great review, Leah. Shame it didn't tick all the boxes - especially with such a good sounding premise - but you didn't think it a flop entirely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES ^^ like you, I was quite let down by this one :( I did enjoy Holly Black's writing style and the her lethal and dark take on vampires but I don't know, the rest sort of fell flat for me. I didn't really connect with the MC...orany of the characters really and you're right, the romance bits of it brought on a distinct feeling of déja-vu. I'm sorry it underwhelmed you too though but thanks for the lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).