'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Wednesday, 18 December 2013

REVIEW: Allegiant - Veronica Roth

Allegiant - Veronica Roth
Allegiant (Divergent, #3)
The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories. 

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.
I finished this book last night and I'm still sat here mourning it. The book wasn't perfect. Far from it. But I still really, really enjoyed it. I almost cried. It takes a lot for a book to make me cry, and for it to be an almost that is pretty huge for me. It felt to me kind of like a sequel to The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood too. It took me a little while to get into the explanations for the existence of the factions - I felt like it was a bit of an easy way out for Roth - but the more I read of the book the more captivated I was. I don't know if it's because I read the trilogy all in one, but I feel pretty bare right now. It's difficult to snap out of the world that was created, and it's true, once you've seen the words you can no longer entertain ulterior endings - that for me is particularly hard and it hurt my heart. 

“Can I be forgiven for all I've done to get here?
I want to be.
I can.
I believe it.”


I can understand why people were upset by this book, but then again, I think it made for one hell of a powerful ending. I re-read Divergent with an open mind, it didn't blow me away the first time round, but all three of the books have received 4.5* ratings. I didn't realise how much I cared for the characters. It's a crushing book - there's so much emotion packed into the 500 pages that sometimes I didn't know what to do with it. I regret spoiling the ending for myself earlier in the month; I think if that hadn't happened I definitely would have cried. The book made me feel so emotional and fearful in the remaining chapters. I had so much anticipation for the events which were about to unfold that I actually thought I was going to panic attack! Being someone that has them, this was a scarily high level of anticipation for me haha.

“I don't belong to Abnegation, or Dauntless, or even the Divergent. I don't belong to the Bureau or the experiment or the fringe. I belong to the people I love, and they belong to me-they, and the love and loyalty I give them, form my identity far more than any word or group ever could.”

As I'm writing this, my heart is in my throat. It's been a long time since a book has emotionally captivated me like this. I didn't expect it to come from a trilogy that I was so indifferent to. Perhaps that's the point though. It was a solid ending, and I hate things coming to a close. I feel like I won't be able to read the trilogy the same. There's no entertaining any other ideas about it. It's very final and I think that's what got to me. It can't be changed no matter how much so many of us want it to. A lot of people felt very indifferent or angry about the event, but I still think that it's what made this book so damn good. If that hadn't happened, would my reaction have been the same? I very much doubt it. 

“You don’t believe things because they make your life better, you believe them because they’re true.”

I loved seeing the final developments of the characters in this book. There is so much loss and heartbreak, but our characters come out stronger from it. It was easy to imagine the turmoil that they were going through in this new world. I didn't know how I felt about it. I still don't really. Would I have preferred the world to remain in factions? I think I would have - minus the repression - just because I absolutely loved learning about them and seeing the unity. I suppose the message is that the unity can come from just friendship and family, minus the factions. That the factions aren't all that you are. That one single person doesn't fit into just one category. 

“I suppose a fire that burns that bright is not meant to last.”

This was such a beautiful and tough ending to a really great trilogy. I'm looking forward to reading more of Roth's work - it was such a powerful world and I'm sure there are many more amazing stories to come from this woman. 

3 comments:

  1. I am so easy to make cry, that despite the fact that I also spoiled the ending for myself, I bawled. I think it was a great ending. While I wasn't so enamoured with the faction reasoning, I think it was a really good book and I definitely can't wait to see what she writes next. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I wish the holidays were here now so I could be holding my very own copy of Allegiant to start in on right now! I love the emotion that seems to ooze out of this one. I think you said it perfectly: a powerful ending is the best kind and quite fitting to this series! I'm hoping I'll react like you did to this one and not be too angry or upset but I'm all the more curious after reading this amazing review ^^ Thanks for sharing Leah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you liked the series so much in the end, it surprised me :D it had a bigger impact on you than me and I was obsessed :D
    Maybe because you didn't expect much and I did.
    Lovely review, hon.
    I agree, the ending is what made the book good, and I am glad about it in a way :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).