'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Wednesday, 11 December 2013

End of Year Book Survey

best books 2013 end of year survey
I've seen this pop up on loads of blogs lately so thought I'd take part in it! Jaime @ Perpetual Page Turner created this survey for everyone to take part in as an overview of their year in books. I've read so many amazing books this year and I love surveys so looking forward to filling this in! 

*Note: images belong to Jaime and the survey includes all books read this year, not just 2013 releases



Best YA book 2013

1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
Yikes, I can imagine this would be like picking between your children! If I really had to pick it would be: 
Young Adult - Panic by Lauren Oliver
Adult - Omens by Kelley Armstrong

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Definitely Ink by Amanda Sun. It sounded amazing and had such a gorgeous cover, but it all fell a little flat for me.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 
The Mad Scientist's Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke. Up until this book I hadn't really ventured into the land of science-fiction much and definitely not robots. This is the book which started my love. If you haven't read it you seriously need to - it's stunning!

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
THE MAD SCIENTIST'S DAUGHTER! :D

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
Delirium series. Hands down. Absolutely blew me away. 
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
I can't pick just one for this - sorry!

Marissa Meyer. Another lady which has me falling for androids and robots etc. Such a talented woman and Cinder and Scarlet are incredible books. Bring on, Cress

Sarah J. Maas. Need I say any more? Her world has captivated me and there is no letting go! Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight are beyond amazing. 
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Oooh toughy. That has to be between Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussman and I Heart Christmas by Lindsey Kelk. I'd have to go for I Heart Christmas, though.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Haha oh, I really wanted to keep my answers different for each question but it's going to be Panic by Oliver again!

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
Cruel Beauty
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge. A gorgeous book and a gorgeous cover! 

11. Most memorable character in 2013? 
Probably Celaena Sardothien. I can't seem to get her out of my head! 
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge. Her use of language is stunning.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 
Probably Pawn by Aimee Carter, purely because the future that she creates is so unbelievably scary and realistic. I can completely see something like that happening. It isn't implausible at all.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I just feel so disappointed that I didn't get to study it as well. It's such an incredible book. 

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
“After all, you can argue – argue until you cry – about what
modern, codified misogyny is; but straight-up ungentlemanliness,
of the kind his mother would clatter the back of his head for, is
inarguable. It doesn’t need to be a ‘man vs woman’ thing. It’s just a
tiff between The Guys.
Seeing the whole world as ‘The Guys’ is important. The idea
that we’re all, at the end of the day, just a bunch of well-meaning
schlumps, trying to get along, is the basic alpha and omega of my
world view. I’m neither ‘pro-women’ nor ‘antimen’. I’m just ‘Thumbs
up for the six billion’.”
- Caitlin Moran, How to be a Woman

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest: Cybersexism: Sex, Gender and Power on the Internet by Laurie Penny (47 pages)
Longest: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling (766 pages)
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Ohhhh god, I can't even mention the scene in case of spoilers, but there were bits of Lover at Last (J. R. Ward) that I just couldn't wait to talk about!

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
I'm actually loving the relationship between two characters of the book I'm reading now: Speechless by Hannah Harrington. I'm really liking the friendship/ relationship that's developing between Chelsea and Sam :).

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Shadowplay by Laura Lam. I really enjoyed Pantomime but Shadowplay completely blew me away!

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo.
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
Young Adult definitely!

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
I don't tend to get 'fictional crushes' to be honest. I'm just going to go with Ron Weasley haha.

23. Best 2013 debut you read?
All Our Yesterdays 
by Cristin Terrill. It was soooo, so good!

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
The Harry Potter series - come on, need you ask? :)

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
I Heart Christmas by Lindsey Kelk. It was such a funny and festive read.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
The Fault in our Stars by John Green and Charm and Strange by Stephanie Kuehn

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
Starters by Lissa Price. It's such a good book. I mean, perhaps it's more popular than I realise but I don't seem to see it around anywhere near as much as it should be!

reading-life-2013

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
Eeee, this is a hard one because I've come across so many lovely blogs! I'm going to go with Ula's blog: Blog of Erised and Micheline: Lunar Rainbows too!

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013? 
Panic by Lauren Oliver. It just flowed out of me - easiest review I've ever written.

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
Probably my book series vs. stand-alone discussion.

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
The one on Celine @ Nyx Reviews: 'Is Blogging Getting Old or is it just me?'
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
My Angry Robot Books internship. It was absolutely amazing and I feel so lucky to have had that opportunity!

6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
Receiving my first ARCs from Strange Chemistry and feeling like I finally made it, in a way!

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Giveaway wise it was my 300 Followers celebration.
Post wise it was my Alice in Wonderland make up post. 
Review wise it was Alex by Lauren Oliver.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
My reviews - especially the books that aren't as popular as some of the 'trending' ones. I think everyone wishes for the same though.

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
A stall in the Cardiff Christmas market which sells a book on a page and creates an image with the words! Beautiful. 
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
My Goodreads Challenge is completed (112/100 books so far!) and my Dystopia Challenge is almost complete. I've failed miserably at the Mythology challenge though.

2014-books
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014? 
The Cuckoo's Calling without a doubt.
 
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)? 
Cress! Ahhh I need that book.

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? 
Nil by Lynne Matson
 
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014? 
I'm not too sure to be honest. I don't think I'm in the middle of any that I'm really anticipating and that is ending next year! A lot of my loves ended this year :(.

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014? 
It isn't so much something based on blogging but I would love to begin my career in publishing. I so hope that this happens. *fingers crossed*

12 comments:

  1. Oh! I'm going to try this one, too.

    I agree -- I wish our reviews got more attention, but what I noticed from the people I follow is that we rarely read/review the same books. Only my YA reviews get the most views, but I don't always read YA. I read books from various genres. But that's okay because I know we didn't start blogging for the views, right? :)

    What career in publishing do you like? Gosh, that would be exciting and I hope you get to fulfill it :D

    I'm also thinking of getting The Cuckoo's Calling, but I'm still not sure! Her first mystery book didn't get too many positive reviews. Is it because she wrote it under a different name or she just improved in the genre? Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree with you on the views :).

      I'd love, love, love to be working in editorial - specifically children's literature/ teen literature but ANY form of editorial is the dream.

      She's only written the one mystery hasn't she? I think The Casual Vacancy is more a study of society :) xx

      Delete
  2. Ok here goes: So, I am completely and utterly with you on all the Harry Potter, Throne of Glass/Celaena Sardotien, Lunar Chronicles love! I think the ToG series is my favorite series of the year...and I can't get Celaena out of my head either ♥ I still need to read the Delirium Series, Pawn, Mad Scientist's Daughter, Cruel Beauty and the Grisha Series! I also felt pretty let down with Ink :(

    Like you, I wish my reviews would get more love...it's what I got into blogging for after all but I'm thankful for whatever love they do get hehe And like you, Cuckoo's Calling and Cress are high priority 2014 reads :D I also want to read How to Be a Woman because it sounds like something I could completely get into!!

    Oh and thanks so much for the mention ♥ funnily enough both yours and Ula's blogs are probably my favorite 2013 discovery xxx *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEEP thanks hun! :D

      How to be a Woman is so damn funny. You must read it - I neeeed to see how you react to it too :)

      xxxxx

      Delete
  3. Awww shucks, thanks for a mention :*
    And yes on Cress, bring it on! Also, yes on Cuckoo, I had to have it the same day, but I still haven't read it :X
    I hope to get Panic asap, you keep raving about it... :P

    Buuut we may have a problem dear: YOU DON'T DO FICTIONAL CRUSHES? IT'S LIKE I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU ANYMORE.WHO ARE YOU?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I CAN'T HELP IT! MY HEART IS COOOLD.

      xxxxx

      Delete
  4. I want to read The Mad Scientist's Daughter. It just sounds cool. I too love Blog of Erised! Great person and has helped me with my blog in the past. I am glad I got to study Great Gatsby in college... learned a lot such a fascinating book.
    Angie

    My End of Year Survey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh I'm so jealous!!! :)
      Ula really is wonderful. Such a great help.

      Delete
  5. I'm a huge fan of Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series but I've not tried the new one yet. You'd recommend it then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would 100% recommend her Omens series! The first book is incredible and I really cannot wait for the next one,

      Delete
  6. I just bought a copy of The Great Gatsby for myself. I was fortunate enough to have read and studied it for school, but I think it's still a book that can be enjoyed outside of a classroom setting. And if you find some people willing to discuss it with you, that helps. :)
    I've heard so many good things about Maas' series and about Cruel Beauty. Seeing you mention them both repeatedly makes me want to read them soon.
    And good luck with your career! Fingers crossed things work out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your answers are filled with books that I still need to read, and am quite ashamed I haven't got to yet! I have Cruel Beauty and Panic and definitely need to get to them as soon as I can, both look amazing. I also haven't read the Delirium series of the Lunar Chronicles series, this needs to be rectified!

    The Great Gatsby was the book I chose for question 14! I'm really sad I was never made to read that in school, it's such a great book and I wish I'd read it sooner.

    Great answers :) My End of Year Survey

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).