'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 25 November 2013

REVIEW: Pawn by Aimee Carter

Pawn by Aimee Carter
Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)
YOU CAN BE A VII. IF YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING. 

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country. 

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter. 

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed …and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand.
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Mira Ink*

Ahhhh this was such a breath of fresh air in the sea of dystopia that I was drowning in! This is my first experience of Aimee Carter's writing and I will definitely be reading more of her work after this. I found this novel so freshly original and enticing that I just devoured it. I can't believe how far off book two is! I need it now! Pawn had everything I loved about a dystopian novel: a terrifyingly repressive government, a kickass normal heroine, characters to love, characters to hate, an underground rebellion and bloody brilliant world building. I felt like this world 100% existed and it's one of those books that is completely fathomable for the future.

The concept of the book; this segregation that's created by the government to ensure that everyone can live up to their 'potential' is horrific. The lives of the population hinges precariously upon test that they must all take on their seventeenth birthday. This then defines where they belong within society: a I, II, III, IV, V, VI or VII. With only the Hart family holding the position of the VII's of society, and those close to them holding position of the VI's, there isn't much hope remaining for those that get lower than a IV. These rankings dictate where everyone can work/ live creating a really chilling atmosphere for the book. Alongside this, Carter's created Elsewhere, a place that the undesirables are sent (I and II) to a future that is uncertain and less than ideal. As the book progresses, we see the horrific situation of those in Elsewhere and the dangers that they live in each day.

This novel was so chilling to read. The masking of Kitty Doe was something which completely chilled me to the bone. The thought of someone remaking my identity so entirely that no one would recognise me is a horrific thought and Carter succeeds in bringing this horror to life through Kitty. I was hooked from the first page to see where this novel would go and how the lives of the characters would play out. The relationships developed between Kitty and the Hart family was captivating; I just couldn't put this book down. With a constant stream of events which kept the pages turning, I was fully immersed into this world and I cannot wait to see how the events unfold in the next book.

With a touch of The Hunger Games and Divergent, Pawn is not a book to be missed. Action packed, filled with emotion and a scarily realistic future, I cannot recommend this book enough!

3 comments:

  1. This makes me so happy!!! I'm going to start Pawn tomorrow and seeing that I don't like half the dystopians I read, this was making me so nervous. But I loved that you mentioned HG and Divergent in your review, both those series are some of my favorites ever! Great review, Leah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you :) I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete
  2. Sounds great! I'm glad there's a good book beneath the pretty cover :P The premise sounds really interesting in the first place. I don't think I'm tired of dystopia yet either, so I'm looking forward to Pawn!

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).