'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 15 November 2013

REVIEW: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan 
Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
I've left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you dont, put the book back on the shelf, please. 

Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions? Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have written a love story that will have readers perusing bookstore shelves, looking and longing for a love (and a red notebook) of their own.
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Mira Ink*

This was such a cute, quick and easy read! When I first started it I was a little worried that I wouldn't enjoy it. The writing style was completely different to what I was used to and the whole set up of the diary was different to what I expected as well. With Dash opening the book with his incredibly snarky comments and attitude, I started to wonder instantly as to whether I could stomach him for an entire book. I needn't have worried though. As the book progressed and we found out more and more about the characters, I started to love both Dash and Lily and their little adventures. It's definitely a book that could be made into a film. I could imagine it being made into something similar to Love Actually, valentines Day and New Years Eve. Stuffed to the brim with big names in the acting business and just a really feel good Christmas film.

This was my first time reading the work of Rachel Cohn and David Levithan, but I'll definitely be picking up more. It was light, fluffy; a truly perfect seasonal read. The events were plausible and I loved the disastrous events that unfolded in sections. Lily began to remind me of Bridget Jones (film) in places with her mental monologue. I just loved it. It was the perfect thing to read, curled up on the sofa with PJs and a drink. The characters interactions were hysterical and seemed like such real people. I loved that the authors didn't stray far from the typical teenage woes and just made it so funny. The whole, 'I'm the youngest, I'm babied, I'm never going to get a boyfriend because half the place is looking after me thanks to my Grandfather' was great to read. Dash and Lily's back and forth interactions via the notebook were brilliant and I really enjoyed reading it. I felt as if I was a part of that friendship too!

If you're in the mood for some light, festive fun, I definitely recommend this book. If you love the films I mentioned I'd also recommend this book. Hell, I'll just recommend this book anyway! It takes all of a day to read and is just so light-hearted and sweet. I really enjoyed it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).