'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Sunday, 6 October 2013

REVIEW: Tainted - A. E. Rought

Tainted - A. E. Rought
Tainted by A. E. Rought
Alex Franks believes the madness is behind them. With Ascension Labs under his direction and the forces threatening Emma's life overcome, they have a chance at a normal life, and keeping his secrets safely buried. But a shadow rises from Alex’s past, and she wants him back. Criminally brilliant, Hailey Westmore will stop at nothing to claim the boy she was meant to be with. 

Without warning, Emma Gentry finds she cannot trust anything. Not her mind, her memory, not even herself. Tragic events and unexpected deaths stalk Alex and Emma, testing them in ways they would never imagine, and may not survive. Alex carries a new secret, and a horrifying guilt that Hailey uses to her advantage. 

Emma’s life and sanity hang in the balance, and Alex may have created a monster...
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Strange Chemistry*
*May contain spoilers from Broken*
Tainted picks up where Broken left off, except this time we get to read from Alex's perspective - something I absolutely loved. This book contains even more drama than the first book and was such a thrilling read. I could not wait to find out what would happen and my first prediction was completely wrong. Tainted follows the complex relationship of Emma and Alex but this time Rought stirs into the mix an ex-girlfriend - I can tell you now this makes for an incredibly thrilling read! Psycho ex-girlfriend at its best!

This may follow some Young Adult cliches but I really enjoyed it. It was fast paced with plenty of action to keep me on my toes. I was so eager to discover what was going to happen next in the book that I couldn't stop flipping the pages. What was happening to Emma? Where does Hailey fit in? WHAT'S GOING ON?! Haha I loved it. Near the beginning Rought absolutely gob-smacked me. I did not see this coming and wow it was a brave move; a  brave move which definitely paid off.

We learn more about the characters in Tainted and I definitely fell in love with Jason, Bree's boyfriend. He was such a wonderful character and I loved his honesty and his loyalty to his friends. I loved learning about the darkness within Ascension Labs, a truly terrifying concept. Tainted is a truly gothic tale filled to the brim with monsters and insanity - I definitely recommend this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).