'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Sunday, 20 October 2013

REVIEW: Model Misfit - Holly Smale

Model Misfit - Holly Smale 
Model Misfit (Geek Girl #2)
My name is Harriet Manners, and I am still a geek.”

Harriet knows that modelling won’t transform you. She knows that being as uniquely odd as a polar bear isn’t necessarily a bad thing (even in a rainforest). And that the average person eats a ton of food a year, though her pregnant stepmother is doing her best to beat this.

What Harriet doesn’t know is where she’s going to fit in once the new baby arrives.

With summer plans ruined, modelling in Japan seems the perfect chance to get as far away from home as possible. But nothing can prepare Harriet for the craziness of Tokyo, her competitive model flatmates and her errant grandmother’s ‘chaperoning’. Or seeing gorgeous Nick everywhere she goes.

Because, this time, Harriet knows what a broken heart feels like.

Can geek girl find her place on the other side of the world or is Harriet lost for good?
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you Harper Collins*
*May contain spoilers from Geek Girl*
I started reading Model Misfit straight after finishing Geek Girl and I most certainly wasn't disappointed! Model Misfit is equally as funny and heartfelt as the first novel in the series. I really love reading about the adventures of Harriet - she feels like an old friend that I spend a novel catching up with. It's really great. Once again, Smale deals with some dark issues but succeeds in keeping the novel light-hearted with the use of humour and facts dropped in by Harrier. Really brilliant!

“1. You left a multipack of Mars Bars on top of your wardrobe. Can I have one? Dad x
2. I had three. Hope that's OK. Dad x
3. I'm just going to have one more. Dad x
4. Harriet, your Dad's made himself sick on an entire multipack of Mars Bars again. Please don't leave sweets where we can find them. Ax”

This novel picks up a few months after Geek Girl ends: Harriet is finishing her GCSE's, coping with a break up, an incoming baby sibling and her modelling career. With so much going on, it's no surprise that the first few chapters contain a lot of quirky one liners, bizarre facts and emotion. I really feel like I can sympathise with Harriet in so many respects, and really think that a lot of adults and teenagers will be able to as well. She is so very real and I love reading about her.

"I suddenly realise that it doesn't matter how far I go, or how lost I am, or how lonely I feel. I fit in here. I always will.
That's how I know I'm home."

I still can't get over how much I love these books. Something that is completely out of my comfort zone and I can't wait to read more of this stuff! I love how both Geek Girl and Model Misfit explore issues such as heartbreak, coming of age, bullying, the stresses of puberty and loyalty - it incorporates so many issues but manages to remain a quick and really funny read. I really think that this is a great book for teenagers to read and to understand that things always work out - looooove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).