'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 14 October 2013

REVIEW: Geek Girl - Holly Smale

Geek Girl - Holly Smale
Geek Girl (Geek Girl, #1)
Harriet Manners knows a lot of things. 

She knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. What she isn't quite so sure about is why nobody at school seems to like her very much. So when she's spotted by a top model agent, Harriet grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her Best Friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of the impossibly handsome supermodel Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves. 

As Harriet veers from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, she begins to realise that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did. 

And as her old life starts to fall apart, the question is: will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?
Ahhhh my god I loved this book! I've noticed lately that I book-flail a LOT and this book definitely deserves a flail if anything. I bought it on a whim, not really expecting to be blown away from it as it seemed very cliché to me. WOW was I wrong. I'm so glad that I read this book because it was the exact thing that I needed to refresh me with reading. I read it in a day and just devoured it. I couldn't put it down at all; so addictive and funny!

I was worried that this book was going to be a little superficial - a typical teen book with a happy ever after and massive transformations. It was such a relief to see that it was kept so neutral. Harriet is such a lovable character and I think most of us geeks will see parts of ourselves in her. It's impossible to hate her. She's funny, witty, intelligent and I just loved reading about her little adventures. There is something so very real and fresh about her - it made for a wonderful change from reading about so many lovesick, angsty characters.

The writing was brilliant. Holly Smale created such a believable tale of maturing and coming to terms with who you are. There's something so beautiful about Harriet's acceptance of herself and I love all of the facts that are thrown into the novel. The book is an easy read and very fast paced. I recommend it to everyone. Although it contains bullying and your typical isolation of the 'geek', it's a really feel good kind of book containing many laughs.I loved it!

A book which depicts a tale of acceptance and friendship, I think it's such a good read for any girls or guys with self confidence issues, or anyone at all! It's a book which is easy to relate to and is one of the few which I've read that depict true friendship.


1 comment:

  1. Great review! I wasn't sure about this book before, but now I'll be adding it to my to-read list. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).