'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 24 October 2013

Harry Potter #36

This is a meme hosted by me here at my blog :).The aim of this meme is to share with fellow bloggers a character, spell, chapter, object or quote from the books/ films/ J. K. Rowling herself or anything Potter related! I will be picking a topic within HP for us to focus on each week and then if anyone wants to take part feel free! All I ask is to link back here, to my blog :). There is now a full list of the topics to come in the Harry Potter section of my blog here.  


Favourite Potion
Felix Felicis
"It's liquid luck. It makes you lucky!"

Felix Felicis, also called "Liquid Luck", is a magical potion that makes the drinker lucky for a period of time, during which everything they attempt will be successful.

It is meant to be used sparingly, however, as it causes giddiness, recklessness, and dangerous overconfidence if taken in excess. Felix is highly toxic in large quantities and is also a banned substance in all organised competitions, such as Quidditch, along with all other methods of cheating. It is very difficult to make, disastrous if made wrong, and requires six months to stew before it is ready to be consumed.

I loved the idea of this potion, but I also loved all of the connotations which came with it. I loved that Rowling created these negative sides to it as well to show the dangers of the existence of such things. Sometimes though, everyone needs a little 'liquid luck'! How about you guys?


4 comments:

  1. Solid choice :) That was one of my favorite parts of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! I also think it's great that those negative effects are there or everyone would want to be taking it all the time, plus it's so difficult to make correctly. Excellent potion that I could use for sure :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, we chose the same one ♥ hehe I completely agree with you, JKR really made sure to limit this potion so it wouldn't be taken for granted or abused...but just like you said: we could all use a little liquid luck sometimes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pick hun! I was very close to picking FF as well, but changed my mind at the last moment :)
    Great potion nevertheless, I could do with some of that myself :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).