'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Sunday, 22 September 2013

REVIEW: Teardrop - Lauren Kate

Teardrop - Lauren Kate
Teardrop (Teardrop, #1)
Never, ever cry. . . . Eureka Boudreaux's mother drilled that rule into her daughter years ago. But now her mother is gone, and everywhere Eureka goes he is there: Ander, the tall, pale blond boy who seems to know things he shouldn't, who tells Eureka she is in grave danger, who comes closer to making her cry than anyone has before.

But Ander doesn't know Eureka's darkest secret: ever since her mother drowned in a freak accident, Eureka wishes she were dead, too. She has little left that she cares about, just her oldest friend, Brooks, and a strange inheritance—a locket, a letter, a mysterious stone, and an ancient book no one understands. The book contains a haunting tale about a girl who got her heart broken and cried an entire continent into the sea. Eureka is about to discover that the ancient tale is more than a story, that Ander might be telling the truth . . . and that her life has far darker undercurrents than she ever imagined. From Lauren Kate comes an epic saga of heart-stopping romance, devastating secrets, and dark magic . . . a world where everything you love can be washed away.

*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you Random House*
This was my first experience of Lauren Kate's books and I really enjoyed it! There is a couple of low ratings of Teardrop on Goodreads so I was a little concerned upon starting the book. As soon as I started reading, I just couldn't put it down. It was addictive, a complete page turner and with plenty of plot building to keep readers wanting more. I loved this new spin on the tale of the Lost City of Atlantis. It was a book that left me feeling jarred whenever I had to put it down, giving a harsh snap back to reality.

The one thing I had an issue with was the names. Eureka and Ander. Once I got into the story it didn't bother me much, but at first it was a little overwhelming. My brain kept exclaiming Eureka! every time I read it. I really enjoyed the character development though. I thought that Lauren Kate's depiction of a character suffering with mental illness was spot on. Eureka's past is filled with tragedy, and I felt so much sympathy for her. I didn't feel that she was passive at all, like what many reviews claim. I thought that her actions were incredibly similar. I brought my own experiences to this book, just as the Carter quote at the top of my blog states, and I really felt that I got more out of Eureka as a character because of it.

I enjoyed the development of the relationships in the book. There was plenty of drama and questions that I just needed answers to. Many parts of the book were incredibly cliche: the ruptured family, not getting on with the stepmother, the cliques within the school, but I really enjoyed it. The book is everything that it promised to be, and I really enjoyed learning more about this new world that Ms. Kate had developed. The twists and turns caused due to Eureka's heritage was exciting to read and I really couldn't put this book down.

Teardrop is one of those books that will keep you up until the early hours reading, I just couldn't get enough! It was riveting, fast paced, enjoyable and exciting. I loved learning about the characters, and I loved learning more about Atlantis as the novel progressed. The ending leaves you praying for the next book, I definitely recommend it!

Teardrop is released in the UK on the 24th of October.

4 comments:

  1. I've never read any Lauren Kate before either but this book looks like a good one :) I'm not sure about the names Eureka and Ander though xD

    Laura @ What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo I'm really looking forward to this book so I'm glad you enjoyed it. I agree about the name Eureka being odd, but there's actually two TV shows I watch with characters called Anders, so Ander isn't as weird to me. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read Lauren Kate's other series and though I enjoyed the first couple of books a lot, as the series went on I liked the books less and less. I'm hesitant to read this because I ended up being kind of let down by The Fallen series, but after this review I think I'll give it a chance! It sounds pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teardrop is a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).