'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 26 August 2013

REVIEW: City of Bones - Cassandra Clare

City of Bones - Cassandra Clare
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder—much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It’s hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing—not even a smear of blood—to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary’s first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It’s also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace’s world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .
I started this book with such high hopes... and finished it feeling quite disappointed. I'm sorry to say that I just didn't see the big deal. I don't understand the hype, I don't understand how it has gotten so much attention, and I really don't think I'll go see the film. Don't get me wrong, it still has a decent rating and it was enjoyable, it just did not live up to the hype at all. I didn't find that I cared much about the characters or what they were doing, and it felt like it took far too long to get to what the Mortal Instruments actually are.

Most of the characters were infuriating, with one exception. I really liked Simon. He was the only one that didn't annoy me. He was the only character which acted in the way someone should in the circumstances that they found themselves in. Clary accepts this new world with such ease... I just didn't like it. However, this new world of Shadow Hunters was interesting to read about. I especially got chilled by the Silent Brothers in the novel. Yuuugh! They really creeped me out.

This is an incredibly difficult review for me to write. Granted, I read this book a few weeks ago so my memory isn't so fresh so I'm going to leave it short and sweet. The world building was average, I felt like I was reading another something similar to Twilight (except for the bit at the end, I mean what the feeeck? Did not see that one coming!) and it felt like something I'd read before. This doesn't mean that I won't pick up book number two though, this is meant to be the worst one so I'm holding you to that, Ula!


4 comments:

  1. Haha! Yikes, thanks for singling me out! :P
    I really liked Simon as well, and the insta-love-liking w/e you wanna call it was annoying, true. And how it all solved further on was even worse - and expected, too.
    I did see the last twist coming though, compared to you. Just felt it somehow. :)
    This one really was the weirdest. I enjoyed the third one the most. I do hope you read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love how I wrote this review before finding about that whole plagiarism thing and have actually said it reads like something I've read before... haha!

      Delete
  2. I agree with you. I read the book a few months ago, because of the upcoming movie, and when I finished I was so disappointed. I thought it was going to be more than it actually was, probably because of the fuzz on the internet. However, that final secret! OMG!

    I will read the other books, but just because I want to know more of this new world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this series last year and I couldn't agree with you more. I was MAJORLY disappointed by the entire series and YES the characters are mostly unlikeable! I'll admit the the world is fascinating to an extent and some characters I did really like - like Simon and Magnus, but I simply don't get the mad love this series has got going for it. I did grow to enjoy Jace down the line and books 3 and 4 were a bit more addictive but I still had tons of complaints for all of them!

    I don't regret reading the series really but like you, I felt let down. Loved reading your review though^^

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).