'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 11 July 2013

REVIEW: Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo

Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo
Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)
The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?

Glorious. Epic. Irresistible. Romance.
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you to Gollancz for providing a copy*
Upon receiving this book, I was so incredibly excited to start it! There is so much positivity floating around this book and I really could not wait to start. I felt a little anticipatory and really hoped that I wouldn't be one of the awkward ones that just 'didn't get it'. The beginning of the book had me conflicted. I found myself wondering when things were going to get going and I started to worry that I wasn't going to like it. This soon changed!

This book felt like two things rolled into one. At first we were with Alina on her journey to cross The Shadow Fold - the dark and dangerous expanse which secludes the Ravka. Towards the end it felt like a massive battle of good vs. evil and I absolutely loved it. It's a book similar to the likes of Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas and I love that it reminded me of that. It's a book full of adventure and I adore fantasy books which follow characters journeys to various places. This book definitely had all of the characteristics of the genre that I love; the journey, the enticing villain, romance, a strong heroine and plenty of action.

“The thought filled me with grief, grief for the dreams we'd shared, for the love I'd felt, for the hopeful girl I would never be again.”

The transformation of Alina was fascinating. She went from being an orphan with no place in the world to the Sun Summoner, one of a kind and completely kick ass. Alina was never a push over, and like most young girls, susceptible to the charms of The Darkling. The thing I loved about this was that it wasn't just Alina that was susceptible. Every female Grisha felt the pull towards him, as if it was a built in mechanism that no one can help. I loved watching her develop her control over her power and seeing her take on the responsibility of being the one that can finally attempt to rise the darkness bestowed by the Shadow Fold.

I loved Mal, Alina's best friend and fellow orphan, a top class tracker and a really amazing character. But I also loved The Darkling. The seductive, all powerful villain. It isn't often that I feel conflicted about a villain but am really looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds in the next book of the series. The relationships developed are wonderful and the romance within the book isn't overpowering. It doesn't command centre stage and allows Alina's development and her task to take precedence. Exactly how I like my books!

I highly recommend this book, it certainly lives up to the hype created by the massive Grisha fandom. If you haven't read this book yet, what are you waiting for? I am so disappointed that it took me so long to get hooked on this series!

4 comments:

  1. Well, this book has been getting so MUCH hype from the blogging world
    That's why am reluctant to read it
    Don't know if it's my type or not
    GREAT review
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read and loved Shadow and Bone shortly after its release last year yet still haven't managed to find the time to read its sequel yet - hopefully soon! I'm glad to find someone who is in agreement with me about how they like their romance in most novels. I'm not against romance necessarily, but I get frustrated when authors make a much bigger deal out of a romance than I think needs to be made. I agree it was done well in Shadow and Bone.
    Great review and I hope you can read Siege and Storm soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I loved the fantasy and the tranformation of Alina too, those were the greatest things in the book for me. The sequel is very good too:)

    evelinesbooks.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my #1 wishlist book at the moment. I still can't believe I don't own it/haven't read it yet because I've been excited about this one since before it came out O.O I'm thrilled to see you loved it too - when HP fans praise high-fantasy reads, it holds more weight you know? Both you and Recovering Potter Addict have read & loved this one recently so I'm trying really hard NOT to jog the 20+ miles to the bookstore AND spend money that I don't have to pick up this book, now. Thanks for the awesome review Leah :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).