'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 19 July 2013

REVIEW: Control (Shift #2) - Kim Curran

Control (Shift #2) - Kim Curran
Control (Shift, #2)
Scott Tyler is not like other teenagers. With a single thought he can alter reality around him. And he can stop anyone else from doing the same.

That's why he's so important to ARES, the secret government agency that regulates other kids like him: Shifters.

They've sent him on a mission. To track down the enigmatic Frank Anderson. An ex-Shifter who runs a project for unusual kids - as if the ability to change your every decision wasn't unusual enough. But Anderson and the kids have a dark secret. One that Scott is determined to discover.

As his obsession with discovering the truth takes him further away from anyone he cares about, his grip on reality starts to weaken. Scott realises if he can't control his choices, they'll control him.
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*May contain spoilers for book 1*

I really, really, really enjoyed this book! The first book in the Shift series was incredibly captivating and Control just furthered this for me. It was full of action, tension, emotions and I was immediately sucked into the story. It's frustrating to have to wait for the third book, Delete. It ended on such a cliff hanger! Kim Curran has introduced me (and got me addicted) to reading from a male point of view. As I think I mentioned in my review of Shift, it is so refreshing to have a change in the narrators gender. It gives an entirely new perspective to events and allows me to explore things from a masculine point of view.

Curran creates an entirely eerie world. Having the ability to shift sounds wonderful, but this novel displays the dangers of it and how easy it is to become reliant upon a gift that is soon to run out. Control follows the path of Scott and Aubrey as they attempt to find the final member of Project Ganymede. Their journey is adventurous, at times incredibly unnerving and so cleverly plotted that I couldn't put the book down. I was ready to feel disappointed with the ending of one of the villains of the book until the very final bit. Did NOT see that coming!

Something that is incredibly refreshing about this series is that, despite some grotesque characters and actions, it does make for a fun read. The humour continues in this book and I loved seeing the relationships roll out between the characters. They all feel like characters that we all know and can place in our own lives. Despite the ability to Shift, the characters are still normal children/ teenagers and it is great to see that Curran doesn't change this. There is still the jealousy, love and tension amongst characters and so much loyalty to each other. Scott and Aubrey's relationship is put to the test and there are so many things which just keep us guessing throughout the novel!

I loved the vulnerability of Scott. I love that he isn't an all macho man, despite his best efforts at times. I love that he tries to do right, but I love that he has flaws. His relationship with his little sister is amazing and I am hoping that we get to see more of this in the next book. If  you have yet to read Shift, what are you waiting for? These books aren't my usual cup of tea but I am so glad to have picked them up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).