'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 18 July 2013

Harry Potter #22

This is a meme hosted by me here at my blog :).The aim of this meme is to share with fellow bloggers a character, spell, chapter, object or quote from the books/ films/ J. K. Rowling herself or anything Potter related! I will be picking a topic within HP for us to focus on each week and then if anyone wants to take part feel free! All I ask is to link back here, to my blog :). There is now a full list of the topics to come here

                                    Events
I absolutely loved reading about the Quidditch World Cup (well, the actual match, I feel too sorry for Winky following that haha). It was fascinating to see how Rowling created a whole new sport and I wish we could actually play it. Off the ground etc. Haha. I loved the conjuring up of patriarchy from both Ireland and Bulgaria and thought that the use of the Leprechauns and Veela was so cool.
I loved all the planning that went into it. The portkeys and the ensuring that Muggles can't see or get involved with anything. It was something so different in the series. It was nice to see Harry as a teenager free from worries for once in the series. It isn't often that he gets to embrace the more normal aspects and it was really great to finally see him let go for a little while.



10 comments:

  1. I loooove your topic! This is such a great event! I would love to be there myself and cheer on, Irish of course! :D
    I loved reading about this event as well, such a fun time, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Quidditch -- that is one of the most fascinating parts of Harry Potter. J.K. Rowling managed to create one whole sport, with rules and all the teeny-tiny details (and even back stories). She's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so awesome to see Quidditch played on that kind of level. And there was so much non-Quidditch related drama going on at the event, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT topic! Wouldn't just be SO amazing to be able to fly and actually play real Quidditch?! I agree, I was excited by how organized an event of this size had to be amongst the wizards to they wouldn't be seen and all that. I kind of felt like Harry, pumped by all the wizards from ALL over the world were getting together to watch world-class Quidditch. I found it gave the magical world more scope, like it was much bigger than just Hogwarts (which was awesome enough on it's own of course haha) Anyways the whole event was beyond exciting...until it got scary - you're right:poor Winky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this too, as did my children. My son so wanted to play!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always wanted to play Quidditch, although I know quite a few universities have societies that play it (although on the ground) since humans haven't learned to fly yet! haha.

    Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice pick! :D I agree with you on every point! The first time I read these books I got up on my broom and was so disappointed it didn't fly. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would totally have wanted to go to this match! It would be like going to the Super Bowl!!! Time of my life!!!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  9. The World Cup was sooo neat! My son actually just got to that part in the series. He came running in to tell me that he got to read about the Veela. He's seen the movies of course and those aren't a part of the movie. Plus, Winky is completely out of it so he enjoyed learning about her. But back to the point - even though it wasn't a part of the story where someone was being attacked...there was so much excitement and I remember reading through it very quickly just like what you were saying with the ominoculars and the referees kicking off the veelas. So much fun :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven. I'm catching up for two weeks - here's my HPMOTW.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).