'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 10 June 2013

REVIEW: Tigers in Red Weather - Liza Klaussmann

Tigers in Red Weather - Liza Klaussmann
Tigers in Red Weather
Nick and her cousin, Helena, have grown up sharing sultry summer heat, sunbleached boat docks, and midnight gin parties on Martha's Vineyard in a glorious old family estate known as Tiger House. In the days following the end of the Second World War, the world seems to offer itself up, and the two women are on the cusp of their 'real lives': Helena is off to Hollywood and a new marriage, while Nick is heading for a reunion with her own young husband, Hughes, about to return from the war. 

Soon the gilt begins to crack. Helena's husband is not the man he seemed to be, and Hughes has returned from the war distant, his inner light curtained over. On the brink of the 1960s, back at Tiger House, Nick and Helena--with their children, Daisy and Ed--try to recapture that sense of possibility. But when Daisy and Ed discover the victim of a brutal murder, the intrusion of violence causes everything to unravel. The members of the family spin out of their prescribed orbits, secrets come to light, and nothing about their lives will ever be the same.

Ahhhh my god I loved this book! A book which is entirely different from what I read and I absolutely adored it. Lapped it up and within two days it was done and dusted and I am just sat here thinking what the hell have I been missing all of these years?! One thing breaking away from my usual genres (sci-fi, fantasy, dystopia, YA) has shown me is that I really do love all types of literature. I will not be restricting myself to my comfort zones any more that's for sure! This book blew me away and I was just so absorbed in the time period that coming back to the twenty first century was an absolute shock. 

I cannot believe this book is a debut! This holds so much promise for this brand new author and I really cannot wait to read more of her work. The plot was captivating and I absolutely adored the fact that we got to see various parts of the story from five characters perspective. It was something completely different for me and I loved it. The characters that we hear from are the two cousins Nick and Helena, Nick's husband Hughes, her daughter Daisy and Helena's son Ed. It was so incredibly compelling and addictive to discover all of the family's secrets through the eyes of various characters. I really could not put this book down - sleep just got in the way!

The character building was amazing and the novel built up anticipation to certain events so well. I was eager to discover what each and every characters back story was and what on earth they were up to in certain parts of the novel. This is no cushy beach read to curl up with. The short blurb that comes on the back of the book is deceiving in that it leads us to believe that this is going to be some shallow family-conflict book but it is so much more than that. It deals with trauma, psychological issues, sexuality, coming of age, alcohol and drug abuse, love, marriage, loss - it's just so amazing. I am completely addicted to this author and I really cannot wait to see what she comes up with next. 

The novel doesn't follow in a chronological order yet it works. I did have to flick back occasionally to double check what event correlated with another event in a previous narrators life but this was certainly not an issue. With a story as riveting as this one it is impossible to forget any details. The dates of the occurrences are also on the top of each of the pages making it a very easy novel to navigate. The language is light and makes for an easy read with some of the dialogue reminding me of The Great Gatsby. I found myself smiling whenever I read 'old sport'. An absolutely amazing book, I really recommend it to everybody! There is nothing to dislike about Tigers in Red Weather


1 comment:

  1. I'm reading this book as part of the Richard and Judy Reading Challenge so I'm delighted to see how much you loved it. Looking forward to it now! And yes, reading outside your comfort zone and finding something new to love is such a buzz.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).