'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Sunday, 9 June 2013

REVIEW: Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
Gone Girl
Marriage can be a real killer.

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?

As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?

With her razor-sharp writing and trademark psychological insight, Gillian Flynn delivers a fast-paced, devilishly dark, and ingeniously plotted thriller that confirms her status as one of the hottest writers around.

I am absolutely blown away. This book was picked up on a whim. A kind of 'okay, let's see what all the fuss is about' kind of purchase. A purchase I am SO GLAD that I made. This book will be circulating my family and my partners family immediately. Phenomenal and such a refreshing break from all of the Young Adult/ Dystopia that I have been reading lately. I am definitely going to buy her other two books and start to invest more in crime/ realistic novels! Absolutely hooked!

This review is incredibly hard to write without giving ANYTHING away about what happens in the book. I loved both of the characters. The story is so intricately woven and flawless, I was hooked from the first page. There are so many twists and turns that you are CONTINUOUSLY on the end of your seat. The characters are given so much depth that I found myself discussing them as if they were real people. Ms. Flynn has a true gift for crime writing. I found myself flicking through the pages so quickly - I couldn't wait to find out what was coming next!

The book gives an insight into a marriage at its worst and touches on many things that so many people would recognise in themselves. Things that are incredibly scary to be honest! Things that you wouldn't want to admit to yourselves. Thankfully, not everyone is insane. Haha. The writing is wonderful, a realistic and continuous dialogue which kept us at the perfect distance to ponder the events in this book. This is a short review but I really don't know how to go on without ruining anything. 

Read it guys! 

5 comments:

  1. It's weird, the amount of raving about this book and I still have no inclination to read. I think early on, I read a few reviews which were less than glowing and I agreed with their points so it's put me off. But it's great that it's motivated you to read outside your normal genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I cannot wait to start this then! I love deep characters. I read so many books with flat ones and shallow ones it's insane.
    Will be picking up my copy soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this so bad. I hear really good things about this!!! And your review makes me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you loved it too. It was awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought this months ago along with The Fault in Our Stars, and then promptly forgot about them both for ages. While I've now read TFIOS, Gone Girl is still staring out at me from my bookshelf, amongst all the other books I've yet to read. I've head so many great things about this book, I must get round to reading it.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).