'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 31 May 2013

REVIEW: Stung - Bethany Wiggins

Stung - Bethany Wiggins
Stung
In a world in crisis, children are the future. Part of the cure. Not now. Children are deadly. Marked one to ten. Fiona is a TEN. She just doesn't know it yet . . . She doesn't know her true strength. 

Fiona doesn't remember going to sleep. But she has woken to find her entire world has changed - her house is abandoned and broken, and her neighbourhood is barren and dead. Even stranger is the tattoo on her right wrist that she doesn't remember getting but somehow knows she must cover at any cost. And she's right. When the honeybee population collapsed, a worldwide pandemic occurred and the government tried to bio-engineer a cure. But instead the vaccination turned people into ferocious, deadly beasts. They have been branded as a warning to unvaccinated survivors. Key people needed to rebuild society are protected inside a fortress-like wall. Fiona has awakened branded, alone and on the wrong side of the wall . . .
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Bloomsbury*

I was so excited to receive this book in the post and could not wait to get round to reading it! Needless to say, I was not disappointed by the book at all. The book follows the path of Fiona, a Ten, once she awakens in her home. A Ten is considered to be THE most dangerous of the cured children. We follow Fiona as she discovers more of what she has missed in the previous four years and what has happened to the now desolate world.

I really enjoyed this book. It was intense, the characters had a lot of depth to them and the romance wasn't overpowering. It was the perfect balance of romance and action in a dystopian novel. I hate when the romance dominates the entire plot rather than what is actually going on in the world. I found it to be quite an interesting take on dystopia. The influenza and spreading of a deadly virus wasn't something entirely new, but the use of bees was something completely different. The bees had died out and were replaced by scientifically engineered bees which caused the spreading of this dangerous flu. A vaccine was created and the most privileged of children were provided with them first. We discover early on that this vaccine backfired, turning the children into wild beasts which attack all around them.

But Fiona is different. She has been cured, but has yet to turn. The novel follows her path as she attempts to discover why she hasn't turned and has many confrontations along the way. I loved the relationship which developed between Fiona and Bowen. Neither are weak characters and it was refreshing to see that Fiona wasn't going to assume the role of damsel in distress. She could hold her own without allowing her emotions to get in the way. Bowen was the same; I found myself hoping that nothing would happen to these characters, that they would succeed in getting answers by the end of the novel. There are many other conflicting characters within and I loved seeing how all of the different relationships developed within the book.

There are questions left hanging at the end of the novel - a few which I do not want to spoil for you guys here! I really look forward to reading the next book in the series so bring on March 2014! I highly recommend this book guys, a short read at just under 300 pages and if dystopia is your thing you are sure to love it. 

3 comments:

  1. When I saw you reading this I had to put it on my WW! :D Looks like an awesome book and I am so glad you liked it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Ula's (Blog of Erised) WoW and was taken in by this book so glad to have seen a review.
    Stung sounds like a great read, the only thing putting me off adding it to my wish list is that it is a series, I'm steering clear of those at the moment for some reason.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts :-)

    My Book Bubble

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great, but I'm not sure I can deal with yet another series! I may have to wait until all the books are out before I start reading.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).