'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Wednesday, 15 May 2013

REVIEW: The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Great Gatsby
'I believe that on the first night I went to Gatsby's house I was one of the few guests who had actually been invited. People were not invited - they went there.'

After the war, the mysterious Jay Gatsby, a self-made millionaire pursues wealth, riches and the lady he lost to another man with stoic determination. When Gatsby finally does reunite with Daisy Buchanan, tragic events are set in motion. Told through the eyes of his detached and omnipresent neighbour and friend, Nick Carraway, Fitzgerald's succinct and powerful prose hints at the destruction and tragedy that awaits.

This was such a wonderful read. It took me roughly a day to read the entire thing, where as usual classics can take awhile no matter how short they are. I was absorbed from the word go and felt quite sad that I hadn't had a chance to study this book at all during my studies. It would have been wonderful. It was beautifully written and I am definitely eager to read more of F. Scott Fitzgerald's books. Leonardo DeCaprio is certainly the right actor to be playing the role of Jay Gatsby.

It's situated in 1920s America and is such a torturous, sad but brilliant read. I don't quite know how to review this book. It's a tale of love, loss, tragedy, violence, capitalism. It explores so many issues and with so many great characters. I felt deeply for Gatsby and thought Nick was a brilliant narrator. As a man that becomes one of Gatsby's closest friend it was really touching to see his emotions and loyalty towards Gatsby develop. Daisy was incredibly frustrating and Tom was infuriating. I just wish that the ending had been different.

I loved the relationships developed between the characters, the love, lust, turmoil - it was all wonderful. I need to read his other works because Fitzgerald is such a wonderful writer. This book was not long enough for me. It's so sad when you discover a book that you love so much and it is so short. I just wanted it to last longer. With a major twist two thirds into the novel I was captivated and couldn't wait to see how the events turned out.

It's impossible to read this without feeling deeply for Gatsby. I felt so incredibly sorry for him. He had such a tortured soul and I wanted things to work out well for him. His house parties - despite being completely full - felt so incredibly isolated and lonely. There was so many people there and none that actually cared about what happened to him. The Great Gatsby is such a good book and I recommend it to everybody. 


4 comments:

  1. I finished this book last night, and I also enjoyed it! I have to agree though, it's a shame it's only 180 pages long. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh noes, am I really so weird to not like this book? :D I found it really dull and stupid haha. I only read a half before I gave up. I will finish it because I cannot have a book unfinished, but it's gonna be hard.
    Glad you liked it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book is wonderful, although I'm saying that from memory since I haven't read it in years.

    I saw the film last night, and while I enjoyed it, the book has so many more layers.

    Great review.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had a better memory. I studied this in college and can't remember anything we said. It was a long time ago though!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).