'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Saturday, 13 April 2013

Review: Requiem - Lauren Oliver

 Requiem - Lauren Oliver
Requiem (Delirium, #3)

Battling against a society in which love has been declared a disease, Lena now finds herself at the centre of a fierce revolution. But the Wilds are no longer the haven they once were as the government seeks to stamp out the rebels. And Lena's emotions are in turmoil following the dramatic return of someone she thought was lost forever...

Told from the alternating viewpoints of Lena and her best friend Hana,Requiem brings the Delirium trilogy to an exhilarating end and showcases Lauren Oliver at the height of her writing powers - emotionally powerful and utterly enthralling.

*May include spoilers*

'The past: It drifts, it gathers. If you are not careful, it will bury you. This is half the reason for the cure: It clean-sweeps; it makes the past, and all its pain, distant, like the barest impression on sparkling glass.'


Where to begin. I really enjoyed this book. I did. Hence the 5* rating. But... the ending. Why? This can't be the last book surely? Nothing was resolved there, there's still a love triangle, there's still stuff that we need to find out about Hana. I'm stumped. Please Lauren, write more! So, this book is still 5* DESPITE the ending. It is probably my least favorite within the trilogy but it still deserves a place on my 'favorite-books' shelf. I just, I cannot accept that this is the end of the trilogy. No. This is not right!

This book has had many negative reviews, fans outraged by the lack of answers and the ambiguous ending. I'm definitely one of them, BUT, I enjoyed the rest of the book so much that I couldn't justify giving it any less than 5*. It's action packed, filled with love and conflict, death and plotting. We see the development of Julian and wow have I swapped from being all ALEXALEXALEX to Julian! Alex is such an ass in this book. He made me rage. Lena thought he was dead. She had to move on. He's the one that told her to go. He can't just turn up out of the blue and be angry because she did what he told her to do! She didn't know he was alive. She couldn't just sit and wait around for him forever! 

Then there was Coral... thank god she gained more redeeming qualities because I thought I was going to have to climb into the book myself and get rid of her. She becomes Alex's new love interest and it seems like everything she does is irritating. Despite being an Invalid she comes across as weak and unable to fend for herself. Thankfully this falls away once they reach Waterbury and her and Lena have to work on the same team to disrupt the Zombies.

'What the hell were you doing?' I say. 'Why did you follow me?'
'You said I was supposed to back you up,' she says. 'I got freaked when I heard the alarm. I thought you must be in trouble.'

The novel is filled with solidarity on the part of the resistance and upheaval on the part of the zombies. As with all good novels, there is a traitor. No way am I mentioning the who but needless to say it is unexpected! I was gobsmacked, flicking through the pages quickly, devouring more and more of the story. This series has been my drug this past month! I hope that the next books I read live up to this. I can't write this review without mentioning the horrific character; Fred Hargrove. Never has a character disgusted me more. Abusive, ruthless and completely insane, he was fascinating to read about but guaranteed to infuriate even the most mellow of readers.

I loved Oliver's use of the Bluebeard tale within this novel. It's a tale I have studied a lot during my undergrad and am currently writing an essay about it now. It was an interesting twist to add into the plot of Requiem and I just wish that there was a way to find out more about Fred's ex wife and the future Hana has in front of her. It would be so interesting to find out more about this part of the plot, but with this being the final book I doubt we ever will.

This book was amazing. It really was. There was love, trust, betrayal, hatred. It was fascinating to see the characters that we've gotten to know evolve and develop into adults. They morph into characters we barely recognise from the first novel. Oliver isn't afraid to cull characters and it's guaranteed to have you feeling emotionally wrung out by the end. Although some issues are resolved (Lena's mum for one) there are so many left open that I am left praying for another book in the series!

'Take down the walls.
  That is, after all, the whole point. You do not know what will happen if you take down the walls; you cannot see through to the other side, don't know whether it will bring freedom or ruin, resolution or chaos. It might be paradise, or destruction... I will make a pact with you: I will do it if you will do it, always and for ever.'

1 comment:

  1. Awesoooooooooooooome!!! I loved the ending! I hated Coral for most parts. Fred sucks donkey balls.
    I'm also team Julian now hahahah. :D \o/
    Yay for read-a-long despite being a lame one. :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).