'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Saturday, 20 April 2013

A-Z of Harry Potter

Hey guys, I've just been thinking that I generally don't have a whole lot to post on a Saturday so decided that I'm going to do an A-Z of the world of Harry Potter for 26 Saturdays :). A way to explore the world once again and to fill in some information on bits. Granted the majority of us will already know these things so I'll try and get some obscure ones in here too :). Feel free to share yours in comments, posts and such as well - that's totally cool with me!

A is for Animagus

  

"Please, sir. An Animagus is a wizard who elects to turn into an animal. A werewolf has no choice in the matter."
- Hermione Granger

An animagus is a witch or wizard that can transform themselves into an animal. The animal reflects the witch/ wizards personality and traits, this most certainly explains wormtail. A massive signifier for us when reading! This is a taught spell and  a witch/ wizard must report that they are an animagus to the Ministry of Magic as part of the wizarding law. The spell is taught in the third year of study, we all remember the cup with a tail right? 

Animagus feature immediately within the world of Harry Potter. From the first chapter we are confronted with Professor McGonagall transfiguring from a cat into a woman. We learn in the later books that Sirius Black, James Potter and Peter Pettigrew taught themselves the spell in order to support Remus Lupin - they were able to help him through his transformations as a werewolf. Only the most powerful witches and wizards are able to successfully transfiger themselves into an animal - which often leaves me questioning Wormtail!


Some animagus in HP: Professor McGonagall, Sirius Black, Peter Pettigrew, James Potter, Rita Skeeter.

Read more about animagus here. 

3 comments:

  1. Awesome meme and topic! I love animagi and I'd soooooo love to be one. I wonder what I'd be. :L Probably koala or a sloth. :P At least I'd be cute haha :P
    And I used to question Wormtail as well, how could he manage a transformation? He's so... well, to be kind, he's nearly a Squib. :X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm... I just love this and am looking forward to the next 26 Saturdays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh I love this post! I wanna be an Animagus too :)
    Thanks for the follow, following on email and bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).