'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 4 February 2013

REVIEW: 'Silencing Breath' - Joanne Brothwell


Silencing Breath - Joanne Brothwell


Synopsis

Silencing Breath, book two in the Stealing Breath series.

Just as Sarah Ross is learning everything she can about her new abilities as an Indigo Child and settling into a normal life with her beloved Evan, her entire world shatters when Evan disappears without a trace. 

Desperate to find him, Sarah’s search leads her to a sadistic serial killer who confirms her worst fears are true; Evan has been kidnapped, and he is once again in the clutches of his abusive family of necromancers. 

Sarah uncovers not only Evan's dark past he tried so desperately to protect her from, but also The Key of Solomon, an ancient text for summoning the dead. 

Knowing her abilities are limited in the face of this ancient power, Sarah is forced to face the Malandanti in order to save him. However, one question remains: once he is found, will Evan be the same man she fell in love with? 

My Review: 4.5/5*
*The copy of this e-book was given to me in exchange for an honest review*

I read this book immediately following the first one and following my 3* rating of the first book, I felt a little apprehensive starting Silencing Breath. However, I was happy to see that I was entirely wrong. Joanne Brothwell's second book within the 'Stealing Breath' series was a drastic improvement on her first. The novel is fast paced with a nail biting edge to it. It was amazing to see the skills and transformation the author had undergone between writing her first book and second. The improvement on the world building and character building was incredible - loved it!

The tale follows Sarah Ross, a young woman coping with university life, a new boyfriend who was once out to kidnap her and her new found Indigo Powers. I don't want to go into too much detail on the powers held by certain characters and run the risk of spoilers for those of you who have yet to read this series. These books were my first experience of skin walkers and I loved it! Brothwell's world building was superb and as a novel full of twists and turns it held my attention throughout. An aspect which I didn't expect but strangely enjoyed was the gore and explicit detail of the scenes of abuse within the text. I use the word enjoyed for want of a better word, what I mean is that it kept me within the little world created and my increasing nausea had me praying for the torture to stop alongside the characters. 

I found this an incredibly entertaining area of the supernatural to read and found myself hoping for the return of Evan. Although Sarah has been portrayed as a strong female figure who can most definitely cope without a male, it is heart wrenching that Evan is taken from her following *spoiler!* his proposal to her. She takes a truly heroic stance in her ventures to regain her fiance, despite having to face up against the man who had almost killed her - Stefano, the brother of Evan. Not all is as it seems with the characters, we are introduced to a group of new male characters and the twists and turns within each characters personalities makes for a very interesting read. 

I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves the supernatural. It isn't entirely romance based and there's plenty of gore to keep everyone happy! The ending is incredibly frustrating, I flicked to the next page and was so disappointed to find that it was the end. I am most definitely looking forward to reading the next one!

xxx


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much, Leah! I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).