'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Saturday, 26 January 2013

REVIEW: 'Runaway Girl' - Elaine White



Runaway Girl - Elaine White

Runaway Girl

Synopsis
A missing vampire princess. A soul fractured among five young human girls. One loyal vampire with a grudge. Can vampire soldier Damian set aside his personal feelings to follow orders? Can princess Amelia's soul be reunited in time for the meeting of the three clans? Will her brother, Matthew, fight for the right to rule? Who will prevail?

Review: 2/5*


*The copy of this e-book was given to me in exchange for an honest review*

Gaaah, I hate giving 2* star ratings! 

Runaway Girl is a tale about one man's quest to piece together the soul of his bride-to-be in order to become an Elder i.e. rule the future clans. When I was first approached about this book I was so excited to begin reading it; it contained the paranormal and an incredibly interesting and original twist: the fracturing of a soul and the hunt to reunite these pieces via 5 girls. Sounds amazing!

Now let me explain my reasoning behind the rating. I found this book to be a very original idea with so much potential, but I was unable to get past a few things. I couldn't relate to any of the characters, I felt it difficult to empathise with them. I also found it difficult to keep up with the switching narratives, there were so many characters and personalities it took a lot of attention to keep up with where it was going. I felt that there wasn't a lot of emphasis on the grudges within the novel. I am left wondering what is going to come in the following novels...

Despite these aspects, I still believe that this tale has potential. It's a very interesting concept, I'm just disappointed that I didn't enjoy it more. 

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).