'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 29 June 2012

Review: Halfway to the Grave - Jeaniene Frost


Halfway to the Grave – Jeaniene Frost
 Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1)

Synopsis
Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father—the one responsible for ruining her mother’s life. Then she’s captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She’s amazed she doesn’t end up as his dinner—are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn’t have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side... and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.

My Review: 3/5*

This book was chosen by a member of the Goodreads group ‘Gotta Have Paranormal Romance with a Kick’ as part of a challenge. From reading the synopsis I couldn’t wait to sink my teeth into this book! As a lover of the paranormal romance genre the content seemed right up my street, a strong headed female protagonist fighting a war against the species that had ruined the life of her mother accompanied by a bit of romance to loosen it up. The novel itself is about a half vamp half human female Catherine and her fight against the vampires. Her tale is soon complicated by the introduction of the figure of Bones, a 200+ year old vampire who captures her and forces her to become her partner against his own race. As the novel progresses they find themselves in various tangles; headless, ancient bodies found, a lot of blood, and an ex-boyfriend left with a less than useful hand.

On the whole, this book was entertaining giving me a fair few giggles at the remarks made by both Cat and Bones alongside the plot development. Despite this, I felt that the plot developed far too quickly and Bones’ quest was sped through in order to reach the final on-no-I’m-kidnapped-now-I’m-in-hospital-and-trapped-again ending. Granted, Bones had been looking for Hennessey’s people for eleven years and alongside the help of Cat they pick off a fair few before falling into major trouble. The way this was handled frustrated me beyond belief, it was as if Cat was the key and now all of these vampires just happened to fall into the path of Bones and just happened to full on succumb to Cat in various clubs and miraculously, die. No major aftermath. We then find out that Cat was only kept there because he had fallen for her - didn't need any help at all. The death of Cat’s grandparents was horrendous and not enough justice was done to it. Yes, fine, she had to get moving before she herself got smushed, but come on a little tear surely could escape before she had a half-arsed cry in the shower! Frustrated me beyond belief.

The relationship which is developed between Bones and Cat develops greatly the further into the novel it goes. I was worried about this relationship as it developed so suddenly out of nothing. As ironic as this sounds speaking of a paranormal genre, I found it hard to believe that a figure that had so much hatred for vampires such as Cat could just give into the seduction and charms of the British vampire. Thankfully, the more the characters and this relationship develop, it’s possible to lose yourself within their romance and accept it as what it is. The fact that Cat remains and independent, strong female despite her relationship is refreshing to read – men do not rule us all no matter what they can do! Haha. I found the increasing reference to sex incredibly annoying at certain points of the novel – despite being an  avid BDB fans – I like my books with crime, wars, paranormal characters and an added bit of the romance/ sex, this book played far too much on the latter. Despite all of this, I was grateful that Frost kept up Cat’s running away from the relationship to make it that bit more realistic due to he troubled past. In addition to this troubled relationship, the figure of Cat’s mum brought further problems to it with her understandable hatred of the creatures. I am not going to fully discuss her role within the novel, but come on, Cat PUNCHED her mother. I did not see that one coming? That seemed just a little out of character to me, although the locking of her in the downstairs room did give me relief and a chuckle.

The ending of the novel was the better part of the book. It was a massive plot twister which I will not discuss in case I spoil it for anyone but it has ensured, despite my 3/5 rating, that I will be reading the next one. Although this book certainly isn’t in my favourites, it is still a good, enjoyable, easy read.



2 comments:

  1. I have this book and I continue to hear (mostly) good things about it. Did it seem to you like the problems in this book could be chalked up to debut author/first in a series type problems? Like there's hope that the author will iron them out later? Glad to hear, though, that you found the book good enough to plan to read the second book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh definitely. I mean the book itself is humorous and definitely enjoyable. It just didn't grip me in the same way as say... JR Wards 'Dark Lover'. I would recommend that you read it - I mean I read it in a day so it certainly isn't a bad book. A member of GR has also just said that book 2 is much better so once that's read I will be sure to post a review :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).